2003-07-14 17:48:55

by Eric Altendorf

Subject: Hotplug USB mouse bugs in 2.4+swsusp

I'm not sure if this is a general kernel issue, a hotplug issue, a USB
issue, or a swsusp issue, so I'm hoping for guidance here.

I'm running 2.4.21 (+ latest ACPI, toshiba ACPI, and swsusp pre14) and
to get my USB mouse working at all with swsusp I had to use hotplug.
However, I'm having a number of problems.

1)
The mouse, under normal operation at times of heavy CPU or disk usage,
will be spontaneously lost. No messages are issued. Physically
unplugging and re-plugging the mouse restores it.

2)
No matter what I've tried, after switching to using hotplug
(previously I had been using the 2.5 kernel w/o the hotplug daemon),
I have been unable to get the internal pointer multiplexed into
/dev/input/mice. USB mouse shows up under /dev/input/mice and
internal pointer shows up under /dev/psaux only.

3)
After suspend & resume, USB mouse is gone. Physically replugging it
doesn't help. /etc/init.d/hotplug restart fixes it.

Any ideas? /proc cats, dmesgs, .configs, etc, available upon request.

Thanks much!

Eric

2003-07-14 18:40:17

by Nigel Cunningham

Subject: Re: [Swsusp-devel] Hotplug USB mouse bugs in 2.4+swsusp

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 04:16, Eric Altendorf wrote:
> I'm running 2.4.21 (+ latest ACPI, toshiba ACPI, and swsusp pre14) and
> to get my USB mouse working at all with swsusp I had to use hotplug.
> However, I'm having a number of problems.
>
> 3)
> After suspend & resume, USB mouse is gone. Physically replugging it
> doesn't help. /etc/init.d/hotplug restart fixes it.

That would imply issues with the hotplug driver what we could perhaps
fix using the recently added notifier chain. I'll look into it for you.
This chain was added after pre14, so you may already get some relief by
trying a newer version of swsusp.

Regards,

Nigel

--
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
Christ died for the ungodly.
-- Romans 5:6, NIV.

2003-07-14 19:47:24

by Vojtech Pavlik

Subject: Re: Hotplug USB mouse bugs in 2.4+swsusp

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:16:13AM -0700, Eric Altendorf wrote:

> 1)
> The mouse, under normal operation at times of heavy CPU or disk usage,
> will be spontaneously lost. No messages are issued. Physically
> unplugging and re-plugging the mouse restores it.

Can be anything, from lost interrupts to noise on the USB connection.
Need more data.

> 2)
> No matter what I've tried, after switching to using hotplug
> (previously I had been using the 2.5 kernel w/o the hotplug daemon),
> I have been unable to get the internal pointer multiplexed into
> /dev/input/mice. USB mouse shows up under /dev/input/mice and
> internal pointer shows up under /dev/psaux only.

Not possible. They're handled by the very same code in 2.5.

> 3)
> After suspend & resume, USB mouse is gone. Physically replugging it
> doesn't help. /etc/init.d/hotplug restart fixes it.

No idea here. Too many scripts involved.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR