2003-07-15 17:57:23

by Michael Kristensen

Subject: PROBLEM: Unable to boot linux-2.6-test1

Hi mailing list. First of all I would like to tell you please to send a
copy of all answers to [email protected]. Thanks.

This is my first Linux "bug report", and I would like you to tell me if
I did anything wrong, or if you need anymore info. I hope you can use
this for anything. The reason I sent the mail to the mailing list, was
that I wasn't sure where else to send it.

[1.] I'm having problems with booting the linux-2.6-test1.

[2.] I'm not sure if I am messing with two different problems. At
compile-time I get some depmod: Unresolved symbols and later, when I try
to boot the kernel, it simply hangs at "Uncompressing Linux... Ok,
booting the kernel". As I said, I'm not sure if it is two different
problems. I will attach the depmod-errors to this email. I will
also attach my .config.

[3.] Keywords? Booting, kernel, depmod, unresolved symbols.

[4.] $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.21 (root@sokrates) (gcc version 3.3 (Debian)) #1 Sat
Jun 28 12:00:48 CEST 2003. NOTE: This is not the kernel I am trying to
compile!

[7.]
[7.1.] Output from scripts/ver_linux
Linux sokrates 2.4.21 #1 Sat Jun 28 12:00:48 CEST 2003 i686
GNU/Linux

Gnu C 2.95.4
Gnu make 3.80
util-linux 2.11z
mount 2.11z
module-init-tools 2.4.21
e2fsprogs 1.34-WIP
Linux C Library 2.3.1
Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.3.1
Procps 3.1.9
Net-tools 1.60
Console-tools 0.2.3
Sh-utils 5.0
Modules Loaded nls_iso8859-1 nls_cp437 vfat fat emu10k1
ac97_codec ipv6 nls_cp865 nvidia apm smbfs 8139too mii mousedev hid
keybdev input usb-uhci rtc

[7.2.] $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 6
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1533.986
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 3060.53

[7.3.] $ cat /proc/modules
nls_iso8859-1 2876 1 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 4380 1 (autoclean)
vfat 10604 1 (autoclean)
fat 32056 0 (autoclean) [vfat]
emu10k1 55884 0
ac97_codec 11764 0 [emu10k1]
ipv6 155668 -1
nls_cp865 4380 0 (unused)
nvidia 1539584 10
apm 10248 1
smbfs 38704 0 (unused)
8139too 14824 1
mii 2464 0 [8139too]
mousedev 4180 2
hid 13928 0 (unused)
keybdev 2052 0 (unused)
input 3392 0 [mousedev hid keybdev]
usb-uhci 23280 0 (unused)
rtc 6792 0 (autoclean)

[7.4.] $ cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
02f8-02ff : serial(set)
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(set)
0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
d000-d0ff : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
d000-d0ff : 8139too
d400-d41f : Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
d400-d41f : EMU10K1
d800-d807 : Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port
dc00-dc0f : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B PIPC Bus Master IDE
dc00-dc07 : ide0
dc08-dc0f : ide1
e000-e01f : VIA Technologies, Inc. USB
e000-e01f : usb-uhci
e400-e41f : VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (#2)
e400-e41f : usb-uhci
e800-e81f : VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (#3)
e800-e81f : usb-uhci

$ cat /proc/iomem
00000000-0009ffff : System RAM
000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area
000c0000-000c7fff : Video ROM
000f0000-000fffff : System ROM
00100000-1ffeffff : System RAM
00100000-00243e06 : Kernel code
00243e07-002c14ff : Kernel data
1fff0000-1fff2fff : ACPI Non-volatile Storage
1fff3000-1fffffff : ACPI Tables
e0000000-e7ffffff : PCI Bus #01
e0000000-e7ffffff : nVidia Corporation NV15 [GeForce2 GTS]
e8000000-ebffffff : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266]
ec000000-edffffff : PCI Bus #01
ec000000-ecffffff : nVidia Corporation NV15 [GeForce2 GTS]
ee000000-ee0000ff : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
ee000000-ee0000ff : 8139too
fec00000-fec00fff : reserved
fee00000-fee00fff : reserved
ffff0000-ffffffff : reserved

[7.5.] Output from "lspci -vvv" as root is attached as a file for simplicity.

[7.6.] $ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices: none

[8.] It should be said, that I get some "incomplete pointer"-warnings.
Are they important?

--
Med Venlig Hilsen/Best Regards/Mit freundlichen Gr??en
Michael Kristensen <[email protected]>

Attachments:
(No filename) (5.04 kB)
make-modules_install.out (20.78 kB)
lspci-vvv.out (7.06 kB)
config (25.21 kB)

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: PROBLEM: Unable to boot linux-2.6-test1

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 08:03:46PM +0200, Michael Kristensen wrote:
> #
> # Input device support
> #
> CONFIG_INPUT=m

Because this is m, Kconfig is hiding CONFIG_VT from you.

Dave

2003-07-15 18:44:54

by Michael Kristensen

* Dave Jones <[email protected]> [2003-07-15 20:33:00]:
>> CONFIG_INPUT=m
> Because this is m, Kconfig is hiding CONFIG_VT from you.

When I read the help for CONFIG_VT, I was convinced that was it, but
when I tried to enable CONFIG_VT it still didn't work. It just sounded
so like that was it. Any other suggestions?

By the way.. I am subscribed to this list now, so no need to CC anymore,
but thanks for the reply.

--
Med Venlig Hilsen/Best Regards/Mit freundlichen Gr??en
Michael Kristensen <[email protected]>

2003-07-15 18:54:18

by Dave Jones

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 08:58:52PM +0200, Michael Kristensen wrote:
> * Dave Jones <[email protected]> [2003-07-15 20:33:00]:
> >> CONFIG_INPUT=m
> > Because this is m, Kconfig is hiding CONFIG_VT from you.
>
> When I read the help for CONFIG_VT, I was convinced that was it, but
> when I tried to enable CONFIG_VT it still didn't work. It just sounded
> so like that was it. Any other suggestions?

Read the 'common gotchas' section of
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween.txt
It's likely one of the other options in that list.

Dave

2003-07-15 19:02:35

by Michael Kristensen

* Duncan Sands <[email protected]> [2003-07-15 21:09:49]:
> > When I read the help for CONFIG_VT, I was convinced that was it, but
> > when I tried to enable CONFIG_VT it still didn't work. It just sounded
> > so like that was it. Any other suggestions?
> But did you set CONFIG_INPUT=y?
Yes, I did. And I have also enabled CONFIG_VT.
> if not, you cannot set CONFIG_VT and the others.
What others?

Please email the mailing list from now on.. I am subscribed now.

--
Med Venlig Hilsen/Best Regards/Mit freundlichen Gr??en
Michael Kristensen <[email protected]>

2003-07-15 19:22:36

by Felipe Alfaro Solana

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 20:58, Michael Kristensen wrote:
> * Dave Jones <[email protected]> [2003-07-15 20:33:00]:
> >> CONFIG_INPUT=m
> > Because this is m, Kconfig is hiding CONFIG_VT from you.
>
> When I read the help for CONFIG_VT, I was convinced that was it, but
> when I tried to enable CONFIG_VT it still didn't work. It just sounded
> so like that was it. Any other suggestions?

Try with:

CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y

2003-07-15 19:51:50

by Michael Kristensen

Okay, now, when I can boot the kernel (read some of the other posts in
this thread: I have got the booting working), I have found out that the
modules, which have unresolved symbols, can't be loaded within the
kernel. So far, so good. These unresolved symbols. Are they kernel
errors or are the errors on my side? What can *I* do to fix it, besides
messing with the kernel code? Thanks.

--
Med Venlig Hilsen/Best Regards/Mit freundlichen Gr??en
Michael Kristensen <[email protected]>

2003-07-15 20:41:51

by Greg KH

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:07:07PM +0200, Michael Kristensen wrote:
> Okay, now, when I can boot the kernel (read some of the other posts in
> this thread: I have got the booting working), I have found out that the
> modules, which have unresolved symbols, can't be loaded within the
> kernel. So far, so good. These unresolved symbols. Are they kernel
> errors or are the errors on my side? What can *I* do to fix it, besides
> messing with the kernel code? Thanks.

Errors on your side. Please install the module-init-tools package.

If you have installed that, please let us know what these errors are.

thanks,

greg k-h

2003-07-15 21:07:07

by Michael Kristensen

* Greg KH <[email protected]> [2003-07-15 23:01:23]:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:07:07PM +0200, Michael Kristensen wrote:
> Errors on your side. Please install the module-init-tools package.
>
> If you have installed that, please let us know what these errors are.

I have. The errors are simply that it says it couldn't load the module,
because it has some unresolved symbols in it. I really don't think the
errors are on my side, but I don't see what else it could be.

--
Med Venlig Hilsen/Best Regards/Mit freundlichen Gr??en
Michael Kristensen <[email protected]>

2003-07-16 09:15:17

by Michael Kristensen

* Christian Borntr?ger <[email protected]> [2003-07-16 10:34:13]:
> No, you have not.
> from your first mail:
>
> module-init-tools 2.4.21
>
> This version belongs to modutils.

Yes, that was back then :-) Later, after I installed the Debian package
module-init-tools, everything worked fine. I only thought the package
was needed to *load* the modules, not create them. So, everything works
now. Thanks to everyone who answered to this thread and of course to the
Linux kernel team for creating, maintaining and developing the kernel
:-)

--
Med Venlig Hilsen/Best Regards/Mit freundlichen Gr??en
Michael Kristensen <[email protected]>

2003-07-17 16:49:09

by James Simmons

> * Dave Jones <[email protected]> [2003-07-15 20:33:00]:
> >> CONFIG_INPUT=m
> > Because this is m, Kconfig is hiding CONFIG_VT from you.
>
> When I read the help for CONFIG_VT, I was convinced that was it, but
> when I tried to enable CONFIG_VT it still didn't work. It just sounded
> so like that was it. Any other suggestions?
>
> By the way.. I am subscribed to this list now, so no need to CC anymore,
> but thanks for the reply.

Check to see which console drivers and how many framebuffer drivers you
have enabled. Most peopel have been enabling everything which is wrong.