2003-07-17 09:31:03

by Martin Zwickel

Subject: 2.6.0-t1-ac2: unable to compile glibc 2.3.2

Hi there!

I just tried to update my glibc to 2.3.2 and saw that glibc can't compile
because of linux/sysctl.h.

I added the line "#include <linux/compiler.h>" to sysctl.h.
(since sysctl needs the __user)

So someone forgot the line, or did I miss something?

Regards,
Martin

--
MyExcuse:
boss forgot system password

Martin Zwickel <[email protected]>
Research & Development

TechnoTrend AG <http://www.technotrend.de>

Attachments:
(No filename) (189.00 B)

2003-07-17 11:58:13

by Martin Schlemmer

Subject: Re: 2.6.0-t1-ac2: unable to compile glibc 2.3.2

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 11:45, Martin Zwickel wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I just tried to update my glibc to 2.3.2 and saw that glibc can't compile
> because of linux/sysctl.h.
>
> I added the line "#include <linux/compiler.h>" to sysctl.h.
> (since sysctl needs the __user)
>
> So someone forgot the line, or did I miss something?

No, you should not use the kernel headers directly - use a sanitized
version (can get one from redhat's kernel-headers package). Else
just add a '#define __user' before that struct.

Martin Schlemmer

2003-07-17 12:54:13

by Arjan van de Ven

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 11:45, Martin Zwickel wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I just tried to update my glibc to 2.3.2 and saw that glibc can't compile
> because of linux/sysctl.h.
>
> I added the line "#include <linux/compiler.h>" to sysctl.h.
> (since sysctl needs the __user)
>
> So someone forgot the line, or did I miss something?

you're probably better off using not-the-kernel headers for building
glibc. eg on a RHL distro it's glibc-kernheaders package, other distros
have different package names for these files.

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2003-07-17 17:23:16

by Chris Meadors

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 06:15, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> you're probably better off using not-the-kernel headers for building
> glibc. eg on a RHL distro it's glibc-kernheaders package, other distros
> have different package names for these files.

In the past I would grab the headers of the kernel of which I compiled
glibc against. glibc has #ifdefs in it to turn on/off some features
based on the kernel version.

Are there plans get a sane set of kernel headers together that can be
used by userspace (at least glibc) that properly describe the features
of the current kernel, so the C library may take advantage of them?

--
Chris