2003-07-28 08:04:46

by Nico Schottelius

Subject: psmouse: synaptics (2.6.0-test1|2)

Hello!

My touchpad stops working with 2.5.74.

With 2.6.0test2 I got minimal success:
If I attach an external ps2mouse while booting, I can use this one.
Until I remove it, soon the kernel (psmouse I think) tries to init
the touchpad which fails.

My questions:
1) why are you implementing drivers in the kernel?
2) what source of information do you use to program them?
3) how can I read /dev/misc/psaux in Linux 2.6 ?
3.1) howto get gpm running?
3.2) is the patch mentioned for X implemented in X cvs?

Nico

--
echo God bless America | sed 's/.*\(A.*$\)/Why \1?/'
pgp: new id: 0x8D0E27A4 | ftp.schottelius.org/pub/familiy/nico/pgp-key.new

Attachments:
(No filename) (660.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Andries E. Brouwer

Subject: Re: psmouse: synaptics (2.6.0-test1|2)

> My touchpad stops working with 2.5.74.

You mean it worked in 2.5.73 but not in 2.5.74?

> howto get gpm running?

Ask the gpm maintainer.

> what source of information do you use?

Vendor docs. User reports. Yes, reports from you.

Andries

2003-07-28 18:36:32

by David Benfell

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:08:50 +0200, [email protected] wrote:

> > My touchpad stops working with 2.5.74.
>
> You mean it worked in 2.5.73 but not in 2.5.74?
>
> > howto get gpm running?
>
> Ask the gpm maintainer.
>
> > what source of information do you use?
>
> Vendor docs. User reports. Yes, reports from you.

Can't help with GPM, but Peter Osterlund and I have gotten his driver
working under Linux 2.6. This really is a win because now the vertical
scroll pad works -- it never did under my old configuration.

Event device support is important. Some other things are really not
helpful.

My updated notes are available at:

http://www.greybeard95a.com/hp/zt1180/

--
David Benfell

(No filename) (732.00 B)
(No filename) (478.00 B)

by Peter Osterlund

Nico Schottelius <[email protected]> writes:

> My questions:
> 3) how can I read /dev/misc/psaux in Linux 2.6 ?

AFAIK, you can't.

> 1) why are you implementing drivers in the kernel?

Because the raw psaux device is no longer exposed to user space.

> 2) what source of information do you use to program them?

The synaptics touchpad interfacing guide. I think this link is still valid:

http://www.synaptics.com/decaf/utilities/ACF126.pdf

> 3.1) howto get gpm running?

You have to hack gpm to add support for the 2.6 kernel driver. Until
someone fixes gpm you have to use the "psmouse_noext=1" module
option.

> 3.2) is the patch mentioned for X implemented in X cvs?

No, not currently. Aside from technical considerations, there is also
a license problem, because the synaptics driver is GPL:ed, which is
not compatible (I think) with the license used by XFree86. This means
that all copyright holders for the synaptics driver need to agree to
change the license, or their contributions have to be removed and
reimplemented.

--
Peter Osterlund - [email protected]
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340

2003-07-29 06:33:06

by Nico Schottelius

Peter Osterlund [Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 09:13:49PM +0200]:
> Nico Schottelius <[email protected]> writes:
> > My questions:
> > 3) how can I read /dev/misc/psaux in Linux 2.6 ?
>
> AFAIK, you can't.

that could be a problem..

> > 1) why are you implementing drivers in the kernel?
>
> Because the raw psaux device is no longer exposed to user space.

means we _are_ obsoleted from now on...
if that's true I'll try to help you to use code from gpm where possible.
and I hope we can work together so we can use gpm once again.
(and possibly develop a buffer, which is available within
gpm and X...I am rethinking this currently)

> > 2) what source of information do you use to program them?
>
> The synaptics touchpad interfacing guide. I think this link is still valid:
>
> http://www.synaptics.com/decaf/utilities/ACF126.pdf

think so, too. but in fact as my dmesg shows, the touchpad doesn't
like you..and I would like to use it :)
So, is /dev/input/mice now the general device to use?
If yes, is it imps2 or what should we talk to it?

> > 3.1) howto get gpm running?
>
> You have to hack gpm to add support for the 2.6 kernel driver.

...another brick in the .. another hack in gpm.

> Until
> someone fixes gpm you have to use the "psmouse_noext=1" module option.

good hint, at least somehow I can work with X & gpm..

> > 3.2) is the patch mentioned for X implemented in X cvs?
>
> No, not currently. Aside from technical considerations, there is also
> a license problem, because the synaptics driver is GPL:ed, which is
> not compatible (I think) with the license used by XFree86.

Btw, aren't there any 'real' alternatives to xfree86?

> This means
> that all copyright holders for the synaptics driver need to agree to
> change the license, or their contributions have to be removed and
> reimplemented.

...or xfree86 people have to change to gpl...

good evenin'

Nico

--
echo God bless America | sed 's/.*\(A.*$\)/Why \1?/'
pgp: new id: 0x8D0E27A4 | ftp.schottelius.org/pub/familiy/nico/pgp-key.new

2003-07-29 06:33:09

by Nico Schottelius

[email protected] [Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 06:08:50PM +0200]:
> > My touchpad stops working with 2.5.74.
>
> You mean it worked in 2.5.73 but not in 2.5.74?

more correct it was 2.5.72.

> > howto get gpm running?
>
> Ask the gpm maintainer.

*wonder* 'how do i get gpm running?' (look at linux.schottelius.org/gpm/)
the problem is I currently recieve _no_ data from psaux.
no init response. nothing.

> > what source of information do you use?
>
> Vendor docs. User reports. Yes, reports from you.

and you try / want to implement whole gpm in the kernel? (without the
bugs we have....)

Nico