2003-08-03 09:12:40

by Eugene Teo

Subject: Memory-related problem leads to laptop freeze

Hi everyone,

I was using kernel 2.6.0-test2-mm3. As usual, I anticipated that
I will have a random freeze, and true enough, I have one after a
few hours.

I have attached the log. Please take a look, and advise.

Eugene

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: VM problem leads to laptop freeze

Eugene Teo <[email protected]> wrote:

> <quote sender="Eugene Teo">
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I was using kernel 2.6.0-test2-mm3. As usual, I anticipated that
> > I will have a random freeze, and true enough, I have one after a
> > few hours.
> >
> > I have attached the log. Please take a look, and advise.
> >
> Please let me know if you need more info other than my logs. I am
> all here to provide any relevant information so that this can be
> fixed :/

Can't suggest much really.

- see if it happens on another machine

- deconfigure unessential kernel features. Start out with an utterly
minimum config to boot, see if that's stable. If so, start adding things
back in until it fails.

2003-08-03 10:00:40

by Eugene Teo

<quote sender="Eugene Teo">
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was using kernel 2.6.0-test2-mm3. As usual, I anticipated that
> I will have a random freeze, and true enough, I have one after a
> few hours.
>
> I have attached the log. Please take a look, and advise.

Please let me know if you need more info other than my logs. I am
all here to provide any relevant information so that this can be
fixed :/

Eugene

Attachments:
(No filename) (406.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Randy.Dunlap

Subject: Re: Memory-related problem leads to laptop freeze

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 17:11:15 +0800 Eugene Teo <[email protected]> wrote:

| Hi everyone,
|
| I was using kernel 2.6.0-test2-mm3. As usual, I anticipated that
| I will have a random freeze, and true enough, I have one after a
| few hours.
|
| I have attached the log. Please take a look, and advise.

Hi,

What were you doing? It seems that you have had several (repeated?)
problems. Were you doing the same kind of activity each time,
or are they "random," as you say?

--
~Randy

2003-08-05 02:31:15

by Eugene Teo

<quote sender="Randy.Dunlap">
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 17:11:15 +0800 Eugene Teo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> | Hi everyone,
> |
> | I was using kernel 2.6.0-test2-mm3. As usual, I anticipated that
> | I will have a random freeze, and true enough, I have one after a
> | few hours.
> |
> | I have attached the log. Please take a look, and advise.
>
> Hi,
>
> What were you doing? It seems that you have had several (repeated?)
> problems. Were you doing the same kind of activity each time,
> or are they "random," as you say?

It is random. Even when I am not doing nothing, I get hangs. If I am
doing something, then it probably is icqing, ircing, compiling kernel,
editing codes, mutt'ing, that's all. I did not try to test the kernel
real hard.

Eugene

2003-08-05 03:20:05

by Eugene Teo

<quote sender="Eugene Teo">
> <quote sender="Randy.Dunlap">
> > On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 17:11:15 +0800 Eugene Teo <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > | Hi everyone,
> > |
> > | I was using kernel 2.6.0-test2-mm3. As usual, I anticipated that
> > | I will have a random freeze, and true enough, I have one after a
> > | few hours.
> > |
> > | I have attached the log. Please take a look, and advise.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > What were you doing? It seems that you have had several (repeated?)
> > problems. Were you doing the same kind of activity each time,
> > or are they "random," as you say?
>
> It is random. Even when I am not doing nothing, I get hangs. If I am
> doing something, then it probably is icqing, ircing, compiling kernel,
> editing codes, mutt'ing, that's all. I did not try to test the kernel
> real hard.

I know this is not useful info but I hope I am not the
only one experiencing this problem. If anyone can get
hold of the Fujitsu E-7010 laptop, you should be able
to reproduce this results. Let me know if you want my
.config. I have tested my ram using memtest86, no errors
at all. I have yet test a minimal kernel configuration
as suggested by Andrew but will do so later on but I am
sure it will be a painful one, even with ccache :/

Eugene

2003-08-06 12:11:02

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, Eugene Teo wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was using kernel 2.6.0-test2-mm3. As usual, I anticipated that
> I will have a random freeze, and true enough, I have one after a
> few hours.
>
> I have attached the log. Please take a look, and advise.

What exactly is that thing that you attached? I had trouble viewing it in
a text editor.

--
function.linuxpower.ca

2003-08-06 15:08:13

by Eugene Teo

please use bzcat to view it. it's a bzip2 archive.

Eugene

<quote sender="Zwane Mwaikambo">