2003-08-06 00:20:38

by hsdm

Subject: Is it possible to add this feature.

Is it posible to limit the amount of memory or CPU time per user?

2003-08-06 00:30:57

by Kurt Wall

Subject: Re: Is it possible to add this feature.

Quoth hsdm:
> Is it posible to limit the amount of memory or CPU time per user?

ulimit -m
ulimit -t

Kurt
--
As long as the answer is right, who cares if the question is wrong?

2003-08-06 00:53:57

by Mike Fedyk

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:30:54PM -0400, Kurt Wall wrote:
> Quoth hsdm:
> > Is it posible to limit the amount of memory or CPU time per user?

Basically, no.

> ulimit -m
> ulimit -t

This is per session, and the user can have many sessions. Unless you limit
the number of sessions a user can have...

2003-08-06 07:47:28

by Martin Pool

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:53:48 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:30:54PM -0400, Kurt Wall wrote:
>> Quoth hsdm:
>> > Is it posible to limit the amount of memory or CPU time per user?
> Basically, no.
>
>> ulimit -m
>> ulimit -t
>
> This is per session, and the user can have many sessions. Unless you
> limit the number of sessions a user can have...

Mike is correct that you cannot have system-wide per-user limits at the
moment, at least in the standard kernel. However, it would be possible to
add it, if you find somebody to develop it for you.

--
Martin

2003-08-06 09:03:44

by Peter Chubb

Martin> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:53:48 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:30:54PM -0400, Kurt Wall wrote:
>>> Quoth hsdm: > Is it posible to limit the amount of memory or CPU
>>> time per user?
>> Basically, no.

Martin> Mike is correct that you cannot have system-wide per-user
Martin> limits at the moment, at least in the standard kernel.
Martin> However, it would be possible to add it, if you find somebody
Martin> to develop it for you.

Aurema have already done something similar: http://www.aurema.com/
however, I don't believe it's available for 2.6.0, and it is a
commercial product.

Peter C

2003-08-07 06:44:46

by Patrick McLean

Martin Pool wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:53:48 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:30:54PM -0400, Kurt Wall wrote:
>>

>>>Quoth hsdm:

>>Basically, no.
>>

>>>ulimit -m
>>>ulimit -t
>>>

>>This is per session, and the user can have many sessions. Unless you
>>limit the number of sessions a user can have...
>>

>Mike is correct that you cannot have system-wide per-user limits at the
>moment, at least in the standard kernel. However, it would be possible to
>add it, if you find somebody to develop it for you.

I am going to be working on this feature with a friend starting in
September as a term project (we are both undergrads in computer
science), and a way to get into kernel hacking :) Send me a mail if
you want more info, or if you want us to keep you up to date on
our progress.

We will also be loking for ways to specify the limits in a fairly
simple, but scalable way, and we will be happy for any suggestions.

2003-08-07 12:36:37

by Alan

On Iau, 2003-08-07 at 07:44, Patrick McLean wrote:
> I am going to be working on this feature with a friend starting in
> September as a term project (we are both undergrads in computer
> science), and a way to get into kernel hacking :) Send me a mail if
> you want more info, or if you want us to keep you up to date on
> our progress.
>
> We will also be loking for ways to specify the limits in a fairly
> simple, but scalable way, and we will be happy for any suggestions.

Google for two things - firstly Rik van Riel's bits of work (I think it
was Rik anyway) on a fair share scheduler, also "beancounter" which was
a patch long ago that started to attack the limits issues)