2003-08-15 13:15:09

by Karel Kulhavy

Subject: Re: nforce2 lockups

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:12:17PM +0900, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found your post looking for a solution to my lockups. I bet if you do a dmesg, you will find that your nforce2 chipset revision is 162.

Yeah! Look:

NFORCE2: chipset revision 162

:)

> I have found tons of people with this exact problem. My Abit board will run
> Windows 2000 flawlessly, but lockup in a minute under Linux.

> Currently I have a reward of $20 posted on two lists looking for a solution. Currently looking to up the ante to $40.
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16264
>
> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27003
>
> I don't think the problem is the the IDE. I have used a promise controller
> and disabled the onboard IDE and still had lockups. If you find a solution,
> please let me know. If I find one, I will do likewise.

It looks like the problem is in APIC. When you disable it, it vanishes.
And, when you enable NMI watchdog, which is handled by APIC,
it doesn't work - it couts up to 15 in /proc/interrupts and then stops!

Cl<

2003-08-15 16:39:02

by Alistair John Strachan

On Friday 15 August 2003 16:15, Clock wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:12:17PM +0900, [email protected]
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found your post looking for a solution to my lockups. I bet if you do
> > a dmesg, you will find that your nforce2 chipset revision is 162.
>
> Yeah! Look:
>
> NFORCE2: chipset revision 162

[alistair] 05:37 PM [~] dmesg | grep "NFORCE2: chipset"
NFORCE2: chipset revision 162

A quick google for "NFORCE2: chipset revision" reveals no chipset revision
dmesg except 162. It seems likely most manufactures are using the same
revision.

I use APIC and ACPI on my EPoX 8RDA+, and I've never had any IO problems. So
it seems unlikely that it is tied to a chipset revision.

[snip]

> It looks like the problem is in APIC. When you disable it, it vanishes.
> And, when you enable NMI watchdog, which is handled by APIC,
> it doesn't work - it couts up to 15 in /proc/interrupts and then stops!

I have not noticed any such APIC issues.

[alistair] 05:36 PM [~] uname -r
2.6.0-test3-mm2

[alistair] 05:37 PM [~] cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 4582940 XT-PIC timer
1: 22830 IO-APIC-edge i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
4: 340689 IO-APIC-edge serial
7: 4881 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
14: 12942 IO-APIC-edge ide0
15: 10 IO-APIC-edge ide1
16: 4 IO-APIC-level bttv0
19: 504114 IO-APIC-level EMU10K1, nvidia
20: 45043 IO-APIC-level ohci-hcd
21: 0 IO-APIC-level ehci_hcd
22: 82 IO-APIC-level ohci-hcd
NMI: 0
LOC: 4582946
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

Sounds suspiciously like software to me.

Cheers,
Alistair.

2003-08-15 17:06:01

by Karel Kulhavy

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 05:38:08PM +0100, Alistair J Strachan wrote:
> On Friday 15 August 2003 16:15, Clock wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:12:17PM +0900, [email protected]
> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I found your post looking for a solution to my lockups. I bet if you do
> > > a dmesg, you will find that your nforce2 chipset revision is 162.
> >
> > Yeah! Look:
> >
> > NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
>
> [alistair] 05:37 PM [~] dmesg | grep "NFORCE2: chipset"
> NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
>
> A quick google for "NFORCE2: chipset revision" reveals no chipset revision
> dmesg except 162. It seems likely most manufactures are using the same
> revision.
>
> I use APIC and ACPI on my EPoX 8RDA+, and I've never had any IO problems. So
> it seems unlikely that it is tied to a chipset revision.

I have had three boards with nforce2 replaced (all of them Soltek SL75FRN2-L)
and all three did the same. However it seemed the frequency of the crashes
varies with actual piece of board.

The crashes aren't in software - bare 'cat /dev/hda > /dev/null' is
often to lock up the machine to the point that poweroff fails.

Cl<

2003-08-15 17:47:22

by Alistair John Strachan

On Friday 15 August 2003 20:06, Clock wrote:
[SNIP]

> I have had three boards with nforce2 replaced (all of them Soltek
> SL75FRN2-L) and all three did the same. However it seemed the frequency of
> the crashes varies with actual piece of board.

That's certainly interesting.

> The crashes aren't in software - bare 'cat /dev/hda > /dev/null' is
> often to lock up the machine to the point that poweroff fails.

[root] 06:43 PM [/home/alistair] time cat /dev/discs/disc0/disc > /dev/null
(I ctrl-C'd here)

real 1m23.275s
user 0m0.979s
sys 0m12.608s

I don't know how obvious the problem is on your machine, but it's clearly not
an issue on this nForce2. When I was referring to software, that included the
kernel i.e., I suspect it isn't a design fault.

Any other details?

Cheers,
Alistair.

2003-08-15 19:14:59

by Karel Kulhavy

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 06:47:20PM +0100, Alistair J Strachan wrote:
> On Friday 15 August 2003 20:06, Clock wrote:
> [SNIP]
> >
> > I have had three boards with nforce2 replaced (all of them Soltek
> > SL75FRN2-L) and all three did the same. However it seemed the frequency of
> > the crashes varies with actual piece of board.
>
> That's certainly interesting.
>

> > The crashes aren't in software - bare 'cat /dev/hda > /dev/null' is
> > often to lock up the machine to the point that poweroff fails.
>
> [root] 06:43 PM [/home/alistair] time cat /dev/discs/disc0/disc > /dev/null
> (I ctrl-C'd here)
>
> real 1m23.275s
> user 0m0.979s
> sys 0m12.608s
>
> I don't know how obvious the problem is on your machine, but it's clearly not
> an issue on this nForce2. When I was referring to software, that included the
> kernel i.e., I suspect it isn't a design fault.

It seems to occur fairly often just after boot time. When you try later,
you usually fail in an attempt to lockup the machine and have to freshly RESET
(not ctrl-alt-del!) the machine to get the behaviour back.

Cl<

2003-08-17 19:27:46

by Jussi Laako

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 19:38, Alistair J Strachan wrote:

> > > I found your post looking for a solution to my lockups. I bet if you do
> > > a dmesg, you will find that your nforce2 chipset revision is 162.
> >
> > Yeah! Look:
> >
> > NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
>
> NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
>
> I use APIC and ACPI on my EPoX 8RDA+, and I've never had any IO problems. So
> it seems unlikely that it is tied to a chipset revision.

I have ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo with nForce2 rev 162 without any problems
(if not counting unability to enabe SiI SATA DMA mode with attached
Seagate Barracuda drive).

"22:26:25 up 17 days, 11:39, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.02, 0.00"

--
Jussi Laako <[email protected]>

2003-08-17 20:03:09

by Patrick Dreker

2003-08-18 13:28:55

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > I don't think the problem is the the IDE. I have used a promise controller
> > and disabled the onboard IDE and still had lockups. If you find a solution,
> > please let me know. If I find one, I will do likewise.
>
> It looks like the problem is in APIC. When you disable it, it vanishes.
> And, when you enable NMI watchdog, which is handled by APIC,

Another BIOS that dislikes APIC on when entering SMM mode? Perhaps
that board needs blacklist entry that panics box if APIC is activated?

Pavel

[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]