2003-08-07 13:34:35

by Stephan von Krawczynski

Subject: Re: 2.4.22-pre lockups (now decoded oops for pre10)

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:18:16 +0400
Hans Reiser <[email protected]> wrote:

> >On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> >>for this one. Hint: spelling in reiserfsck should be checked ;-)
> >
> where?

Hello Hans,

I am no native english, but
"Comparing bitmaps.. vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs"
feels uncomfortable in my ears ;-)
I'd say "two things differ", without trailing "s". I am not even sure if
"bitmaps" shouldn't be singular "bitmap" instead.

But, as stated, I am no native, I can't be sure.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-08-18 20:29:55

by Mike Fedyk

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 03:32:57PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:18:16 +0400
> Hans Reiser <[email protected]> wrote:

> > where?
>
> Hello Hans,
>
> I am no native english, but
> "Comparing bitmaps.. vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs"
> feels uncomfortable in my ears ;-)
> I'd say "two things differ", without trailing "s". I am not even sure if
> "bitmaps" shouldn't be singular "bitmap" instead.

"bitmaps" with your changes would be correct.

Though, just turn "bitmaps" into "bitmap" and it should be fine. I can't
really think of a phrase specific enough for the error message without
adding enough text to make it two lines, which wouldn't be good.

"Comparing bitmaps.. vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmap differs"

2003-08-18 20:39:51

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:29:49 -0700
Mike Fedyk <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I'd say "two things differ", without trailing "s". I am not even sure if
> > "bitmaps" shouldn't be singular "bitmap" instead.
>
> "bitmaps" with your changes would be correct.
>
> Though, just turn "bitmaps" into "bitmap" and it should be fine. I can't
> really think of a phrase specific enough for the error message without
> adding enough text to make it two lines, which wouldn't be good.
>
> "Comparing bitmaps.. vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmap differs"

Hm, but:

"a and b differ"
"a differs from b"

or not?

Alternatives:

"a and b are different"

But if you use "are" here, you cannot use "differs" above, right?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-08-18 21:10:02

by Mike Fedyk

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:39:46PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:29:49 -0700
> Mike Fedyk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > I'd say "two things differ", without trailing "s". I am not even sure if
> > > "bitmaps" shouldn't be singular "bitmap" instead.
> >
> > "bitmaps" with your changes would be correct.
> >
> > Though, just turn "bitmaps" into "bitmap" and it should be fine. I can't
> > really think of a phrase specific enough for the error message without
> > adding enough text to make it two lines, which wouldn't be good.
> >
> > "Comparing bitmaps.. vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmap differs"
>
> Hm, but:
>
> "a and b differ"

1) "Comparing bitmaps.. vpf-10640: The on-disk and correct bitmap differ"

> "a differs from b"

2) "Comparing bitmaps.. vpf-10640: The on-disk differs from the correct bitmap"

> or not?
>
> Alternatives:
>
> "a and b are different"

3) "Comparing bitmaps.. vpf-10640: The on-disk and correct are different"

> But if you use "are" here, you cannot use "differs" above, right?

Yes.

I kinda like (1), or the origional changed to "bitmap" instead of
"bitmaps".

Mike

2003-08-18 21:38:08

by Matt Gibson

Subject: Re: [grammar] 2.4.22-pre lockups (now decoded oops for pre10)

On Monday 18 Aug 2003 21:39, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> Mike Fedyk <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Comparing bitmaps.. vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmap
> > differs"
>
> Hm, but:
>
> "a and b differ"
> "a differs from b"

Yes. Assuming that you're reporting the comparison of two single bitmaps:

"The on-disk bitmap and the correct bitmap differ."
"The on-disk and the correct bitmap differ."
"The on-disk bitmap differs from the correct bitmap."

I'd say the last of those three sounds best; the second sounds a little
stilted because you have to think for a moment to realise that "on-disk" is
being used as a contraction of "on-disk bitmap."

If the difference is between two sets of bitmaps:

"The on-disk bitmaps and the correct bitmaps differ."
"The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differ."
"The on-disk bitmaps differ from the correct bitmaps."

Matt (and that's the last you'll hear from me on this one; there's enough
traffic on here as it is...)

--
"It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
and learning how to live amongst them."