2003-08-26 15:06:17

by Bas Mevissen

Subject: 2.4.xx and configuring PCMCIA cards without cardutils

Hi,

For a small computer, I want to use PCMCIA compiled into the kernel. I
only have 1 network card (fixed) in a PCMCIA slot. The kernel should
boot (from disk) with a NFS root. Because I want to keep things as small
as possible, I want to go without an initrd with cardutils.

So I'm wondering how to configure the network card from kernel space, if
possible at all.

Regards,

Bas.

2003-08-26 20:46:04

by Dominik Brodowski

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 05:06:38PM +0200, Bas Mevissen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a small computer, I want to use PCMCIA compiled into the kernel. I
> only have 1 network card (fixed) in a PCMCIA slot. The kernel should
> boot (from disk) with a NFS root. Because I want to keep things as small
> as possible, I want to go without an initrd with cardutils.
>
> So I'm wondering how to configure the network card from kernel space, if
> possible at all.

Unfortunately, this is neither possible with 2.4. or 2.6. at the moment, but
there's work going on [for 2.6.+ only] which will eventually lead to such
possibilities.

Dominik