2003-08-28 21:21:57

by Bryan O'Sullivan

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] netplug, a daemon that handles network cables getting plugged in and out

Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
out by bringing a network interface up or down. This is extremely
useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
and systems in cluster environments.

For more details and download instructions, see the netplug homepage:
http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/

<b

2003-08-28 21:36:07

by Jeff Garzik

Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
> out by bringing a network interface up or down. This is extremely
> useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
> and systems in cluster environments.
>
> For more details and download instructions, see the netplug homepage:
> http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/

Does it make use of the link status notification stuff in 2.6.x? ;-)

Jeff

2003-08-28 21:50:53

by Bryan O'Sullivan

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 14:46, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> What's the difference to / advantage over ifplugd?

They're about the same, but I didn't know of the existence of ifplugd
until just now.

<b

2003-08-28 21:46:58

by Christoph Hellwig

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 02:21:52PM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
> out by bringing a network interface up or down. This is extremely
> useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
> and systems in cluster environments.

What's the difference to / advantage over ifplugd?

2003-08-28 21:54:27

by J.A. Magallon

On 08.28, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
> out by bringing a network interface up or down. This is extremely
> useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
> and systems in cluster environments.
>
> For more details and download instructions, see the netplug homepage:
> http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/

I feel sorry, but did you ever knew this existed ?

http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/ifplugd/

:(

--
J.A. Magallon <[email protected]> \ Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es \ It's better when it's free

2003-08-28 22:49:28

by Bryan O'Sullivan

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 15:45, J.A. Magallon wrote:

> That would be very nice, but there is still a problem.
> Does netlink solve the fact that there are cards (at least in 2.4)
> that do not support any detection method:

netlink doesn't work through the ioctl interface at all. If a card is
capable of reporting that its flags include IFF_UP or IFF_RUNNING via
the netlink interface, then netplug will work.

<b

2003-08-28 22:46:08

by J.A. Magallon

On 08.29, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> J.A. Magallon wrote:
> > On 08.28, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> >
> >>Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
> >>out by bringing a network interface up or down. This is extremely
> >>useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
> >>and systems in cluster environments.
> >>
> >>For more details and download instructions, see the netplug homepage:
> >>http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/
> >>

> > I feel sorry, but did you ever knew this existed ?
> >
> > http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/ifplugd/
>

> ifplugd doesn't appear to use netlink. Did I miss something?
>
> netlink is definitely the preferred way to get link notification. Maybe
> the two authors can work together to merge the best parts of both...

That would be very nice, but there is still a problem.
Does netlink solve the fact that there are cards (at least in 2.4)
that do not support any detection method:

ne2k-pci
SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not permitted)
SIOCGMIIPHY failed (Operation not permitted)
SIOCDEVPRIVATE failed (Operation not supported)

3c59x (3c980-TX)
SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not permitted)
SIOCGMIIPHY failed (Operation not permitted)
SIOCDEVPRIVATE: unplugged

3c59x (3c905C-TX/TX-M)
SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not supported)
SIOCGMIIPHY: link beat detected
SIOCDEVPRIVATE: link beat detected

e100
SIOCETHTOOL: link beat detected
SIOCGMIIPHY: link beat detected
SIOCDEVPRIVATE failed (Operation not supported)

e1000
SIOCETHTOOL: link beat detected
SIOCGMIIPHY: link beat detected
SIOCDEVPRIVATE failed (Operation not supported)

--
J.A. Magallon <[email protected]> \ Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es \ It's better when it's free
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (Cooker) for i586
Linux 2.4.22-jam1m (gcc 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-1mdk))

2003-08-28 22:34:48

by Jeff Garzik

J.A. Magallon wrote:
> On 08.28, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>
>>Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
>>out by bringing a network interface up or down. This is extremely
>>useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
>>and systems in cluster environments.
>>
>>For more details and download instructions, see the netplug homepage:
>>http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/
>>

> I feel sorry, but did you ever knew this existed ?
>
> http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/ifplugd/

ifplugd doesn't appear to use netlink. Did I miss something?

netlink is definitely the preferred way to get link notification. Maybe
the two authors can work together to merge the best parts of both...

Jeff

2003-08-29 00:36:36

by Aaron Lehmann

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 02:21:52PM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
> out by bringing a network interface up or down. This is extremely
> useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
> and systems in cluster environments.
>
> For more details and download instructions, see the netplug homepage:
> http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was just thinking today how
annoying it is that whenever I boot up my laptop, dhclient runs and tries
to get an IP address on the ethernet interface until it's ^C'd. Since
I often use the Ethernet interface this is not a bad default, but dhclient
can't even realize on its own that there's no cable plugged in.

2003-08-29 02:11:46

by David Hollis

Aaron Lehmann wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 02:21:52PM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>

>>Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
>>out by bringing a network interface up or down. This is extremely
>>useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
>>and systems in cluster environments.
>>
>>For more details and download instructions, see the netplug homepage:
>>http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/
>>

>Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was just thinking today how
>annoying it is that whenever I boot up my laptop, dhclient runs and tries
>to get an IP address on the ethernet interface until it's ^C'd. Since
>I often use the Ethernet interface this is not a bad default, but dhclient
>can't even realize on its own that there's no cable plugged in.
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

Hmm, that seems to raise the question - why doesn't dhclient just handle
that? On a DHCP interface, it's running anyway. if it paid attention
to link status, it would know when to re-request an IP. If you are
statically assigned, you don't really care anyway.

2003-08-29 08:25:51

by MånsRullgård

David T Hollis <[email protected]> writes:

>>Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was just thinking today how
>>annoying it is that whenever I boot up my laptop, dhclient runs and tries
>>to get an IP address on the ethernet interface until it's ^C'd. Since
>>I often use the Ethernet interface this is not a bad default, but dhclient
>>can't even realize on its own that there's no cable plugged in.
>
> Hmm, that seems to raise the question - why doesn't dhclient just
> handle that? On a DHCP interface, it's running anyway. if it paid
> attention to link status, it would know when to re-request an IP. If
> you are statically assigned, you don't really care anyway.

Well, sometimes it's better to not have the interface configured UP
when there's no cable connected. It avoids some very long timeouts
when some program tries to connect to something. It's better to just
get a host unreachable error immediately.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Bryan O'Sullivan

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 19:11, David T Hollis wrote:

> Hmm, that seems to raise the question - why doesn't dhclient just handle
> that?

Because it has as little knowledge of how the OS works as possible.
It's intended to run on all kinds of Unix platforms, not just Linux.

> On a DHCP interface, it's running anyway. if it paid attention
> to link status, it would know when to re-request an IP.

There are no cross-platform standards for this kind of thing, so they'd
need modules for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, AIX, etc., etc. I'm sure
they'd be happy to accept patches.

<b

2003-09-03 08:42:57

by Stefan Rompf

Hi,

> That would be very nice, but there is still a problem.
> Does netlink solve the fact that there are cards (at least in 2.4)
> that do not support any detection method:

even in 2.6 not all cards support link state via netlink, it requires some
updates to the driver. Maintainers should take this as a hint to add
netif_carrier_on()/_off() or mii_check_link()/mii_check_media()-calls ;-).

This does not hurt for 2.4 as these functions are already available there, but
do not create notifications in the stock kernel.

Stefan
--
"doesn't work" is not a magic word to explain everything.