2003-09-01 17:39:30

by Philip Clark

Subject: orinoco wireless driver

Hi Everyone,

My wireless card is not working in the new test4 kernel. It appears the
driver is broken and the card gets detected as a memory card and the
kernel module memory_cs tries to get loaded instead. Does anyone know
if there is a fix for this?

-Phil

--
Philip J. Clark MS34 (Colorado)
tel 1-650-926-4203 SLAC, PO Box 20450

2003-09-01 17:45:32

by Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Subject: Re: orinoco wireless driver

Em Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 10:39:27AM -0700, Philip Clark escreveu:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My wireless card is not working in the new test4 kernel. It appears the
> driver is broken and the card gets detected as a memory card and the
> kernel module memory_cs tries to get loaded instead. Does anyone know
> if there is a fix for this?

humm, I saw this lots of times, care to try, after it is detected as "memory"
to do this:

cardctl eject
cardctl insert

and see if gets correctly detected this turn? works for me.

- Arnaldo

2003-09-01 20:22:53

by Henrik Persson

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:44:37 -0300
Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <[email protected]> wrote:

> humm, I saw this lots of times, care to try, after it is detected as
> "memory" to do this:
>
> cardctl eject
> cardctl insert
>
> and see if gets correctly detected this turn? works for me.

And restart cardmgr a couple of times and then ejecting and inserting..
Those procedures are needed here. ;)

--
Henrik Persson [email protected]

2003-09-01 22:08:13

by Henrik Persson

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:00:59 +0100
Russell King <[email protected]> wrote:

> > And restart cardmgr a couple of times and then ejecting and
> > inserting.. Those procedures are needed here. ;)
>
> Daniel Ritz was going to run some tests on his TI PCI1410 based laptop,
> but last I heard he didn't find anything wrong. The mistery
> continues...
>
> You might want to apply the patches on pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk and see
> if any of those help (and say which one.)
>
> Frankly, I don't see this issue getting resolved any time soon.

I've tried them all. No change.

It works pretty well in 2.4.21 though. I just have to eject and reinsert
in there to get it working. And there's still the issue that i have to
insert it twice before it's detected..

--
Henrik Persson [email protected]

2003-09-01 22:01:12

by Russell King

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 10:22:50PM +0200, Henrik Persson wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:44:37 -0300
> Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > humm, I saw this lots of times, care to try, after it is detected as
> > "memory" to do this:
> >
> > cardctl eject
> > cardctl insert
> >
> > and see if gets correctly detected this turn? works for me.
>
> And restart cardmgr a couple of times and then ejecting and inserting..
> Those procedures are needed here. ;)

Daniel Ritz was going to run some tests on his TI PCI1410 based laptop,
but last I heard he didn't find anything wrong. The mistery continues...

You might want to apply the patches on pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk and see
if any of those help (and say which one.)

Frankly, I don't see this issue getting resolved any time soon.

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by John Weber

>>My wireless card is not working in the new test4 kernel. It appears the
>>driver is broken and the card gets detected as a memory card and the
>>kernel module memory_cs tries to get loaded instead. Does anyone know
>>if there is a fix for this?
>
> humm, I saw this lots of times, care to try, after it is detected as "memory"
> to do this:
> cardctl eject
> cardctl insert
> and see if gets correctly detected this turn? works for me.

I have an Orinoco wireless card, and it is functioning perfectly with
2.6.0-test4 (without requiring the eject<->insert trick). Which archs
are affected by this?