2003-09-03 02:25:04

by Will L G

Subject: RE: Compressed VMLINUX Kernel

I was wondering, is there some method or utility that will allow me to
compress my kernel (vmlinux)? I was running an alpha and bzImage and zImage
don?t work.? I read all the mans that I could lay my grubby little hands on
but none of them mentioned HOW one is the compress a vmlinux kernel.?
?
The reason ask this is, I boot to linux using an OLD IDE drive and it takes
sometime to read a 7mb file. I noticed that the original kernel
(Redhat/Compaq derivative) was compressed and somewhat smaller, about less
than half the size. Thanks, Will L G
?

2003-09-03 02:52:41

by Randy.Dunlap

> I was wondering, is there some method or utility that will allow me to
> compress my kernel (vmlinux)? I was running an alpha and bzImage and zImage
> don?t work. I read all the mans that I could lay my grubby little hands on
> but none of them mentioned HOW one is the compress a vmlinux kernel.
> The reason ask this is, I boot to linux using an OLD IDE drive and it takes
> sometime to read a 7mb file. I noticed that the original kernel
> (Redhat/Compaq derivative) was compressed and somewhat smaller, about less
> than half the size. Thanks, Will L G

Kernel version?

In 2.4.22 and 2.6.0-test, there are targets for ALPHA called vmlinux.gz.
Have you tried 'make vmlinux.gz' ?

~Randy

2003-09-03 04:59:07

by Willy Tarreau

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 09:20:46PM -0500, Will L G wrote:
> I was wondering, is there some method or utility that will allow me to
> compress my kernel (vmlinux)? I was running an alpha and bzImage and zImage
> don?t work.? I read all the mans that I could lay my grubby little hands on
> but none of them mentioned HOW one is the compress a vmlinux kernel.?
> ?
> The reason ask this is, I boot to linux using an OLD IDE drive and it takes
> sometime to read a 7mb file. I noticed that the original kernel
> (Redhat/Compaq derivative) was compressed and somewhat smaller, about less
> than half the size. Thanks, Will L G
> ?

I'm pretty sure I already booted mine with a vmlinux.gz kernel which simply was
a gzip applied to a normal vmlinux image.

Regards,
willy

2003-09-03 09:23:03

by Thorsten Kranzkowski

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 09:20:46PM -0500, Will L G wrote:
> I was wondering, is there some method or utility that will allow me to
> compress my kernel (vmlinux)? I was running an alpha and bzImage and zImage
> don?t work.? I read all the mans that I could lay my grubby little hands on

use 'make boot' instead. this will create arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski Internet: [email protected] |
| Mobile: ++49 170 1876134 Snail: Kiebitzstr. 14, 49324 Melle, Germany |