2003-09-07 11:27:25

by Nicolas Mailhot

Subject: Sensors and linux 2.6.0-test4-bk8 question

Hi,

Please bear with me and enlighten me a bit. I've been fiddling with
2.5/2.6 for some time, and got most of my hardware working (including
acpi...) better than in 2.4. (in fact now I'm using only 2.6). So now I
got to the point where I'm looking at nice-to-have stuff like sensors.

I know libsensors is not yet 2.6 aware, but I thought sensed values
where available in sysfs if one wanted to manually read them. Since I
have via hardware:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400 AGP] Host
Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 PCI Bridge
00:0a.0 RAID bus controller: CMD Technology Inc PCI0680 (rev 02)
00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/B/686A/B PIPC Bus
Master IDE (rev 06)
00:13.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP
(rev 04)

I build-in via-pro and VIA686A:
CONFIG_I2C_VIAPRO=y
CONFIG_SENSORS_VIA686A=y

Now there is no sensor-related message as far as I can see in my dmesg,
and I do not seem to find any temperature/fan related info in /sys:

root@rousalka root]# find /sys/| grep i2c
/sys/class/i2c-dev
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-3
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-3/dev
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-3/driver
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-3/device
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-2
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-2/dev
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-2/driver
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-2/device
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-1
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-1/dev
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-1/driver
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-1/device
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-0
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-0/dev
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-0/driver
/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-0/device
/sys/class/i2c-adapter
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3/driver
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3/device
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/driver
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/device
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-1
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-1/driver
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-1/device
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-0
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/driver
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/device
/sys/bus/i2c
/sys/bus/i2c/drivers
/sys/bus/i2c/drivers/dev_driver
/sys/bus/i2c/drivers/i2c_adapter
/sys/bus/i2c/devices
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/i2c-3
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/i2c-3/name
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/i2c-3/power
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/i2c-3/power/state
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/i2c-3/detach_state
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-2
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-2/name
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-2/power
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-2/power/state
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-2/detach_state
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-1
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-1/name
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-1/power
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-1/power/state
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-1/detach_state
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-0
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-0/name
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-0/power
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-0/power/state
/sys/devices/legacy/i2c-0/detach_state
/sys/cdev/major/i2c

So I'd like to know how I'm supposed to check if the kernel sensors part
works (and eventualy get some useful info out of it)

Nicolas Mailhot

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Ceci est une partie de message num?riquement sign

2003-09-07 15:11:07

by linux-kernel

Subject: Re: Sensors and linux 2.6.0-test4-bk8 question

In article <[email protected]>,
Nicolas Mailhot <[email protected]> writes:
> --=-scQmpSv1XJXK2Qdu4l48
>
> Hi,
>
> Please bear with me and enlighten me a bit. I've been fiddling with
> 2.5/2.6 for some time, and got most of my hardware working (including
> acpi...) better than in 2.4. (in fact now I'm using only 2.6). So now I
> got to the point where I'm looking at nice-to-have stuff like sensors.
>
> I know libsensors is not yet 2.6 aware, but I thought sensed values
> where available in sysfs if one wanted to manually read them. Since I
> have via hardware:

If there is any interest, I have a perl program that does a configurable
display for 2.6

> Now there is no sensor-related message as far as I can see in my dmesg,
> and I do not seem to find any temperature/fan related info in /sys:

You still need the bus and chip drivers before anything appears.
Which ones is basically the same as with the old lmsensors stuff, so
look in their docs.

2003-09-07 16:38:06

by Nicolas Mailhot

Ton Hospel replied to me
|> I know libsensors is not yet 2.6 aware, but I thought sensed values
|> where available in sysfs if one wanted to manually read them. Since I
|> have via hardware:

|If there is any interest, I have a perl program that does a configurable
|display for 2.6.

Sure there is interest:)

|> Now there is no sensor-related message as far as I can see in my dmesg,
|> and I do not seem to find any temperature/fan related info in /sys:
|>

|You still need the bus and chip drivers before anything appears.
|Which ones is basically the same as with the old lmsensors stuff, so
|look in their docs.

But how can I check the damn things work ? Sensors writers seem to
have eschewed the nice messages every other driver writer put in dmesg to
tell me their stuff is correctly loaded.

For example I have :
"SMBus Via Pro adapter at 5000"

in "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/i2c-3/name" so I suppose via-pro
at least is loaded (fully ?). Which should be the bus stuff I think. For
the chip stuff that would be VIA686A (?) But how am I supposed to check the
darn thing works with nothing in dmesg ? I've already combed sysfs for clues
and found nothing.

Nicolas Mailhot

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Ceci est une partie de message num?riquement sign

2003-09-07 17:37:27

by Josh McKinney

On approximately Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 03:09:58PM +0000, Ton Hospel wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Nicolas Mailhot <[email protected]> writes:
> > --=-scQmpSv1XJXK2Qdu4l48
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please bear with me and enlighten me a bit. I've been fiddling with
> > 2.5/2.6 for some time, and got most of my hardware working (including
> > acpi...) better than in 2.4. (in fact now I'm using only 2.6). So now I
> > got to the point where I'm looking at nice-to-have stuff like sensors.
> >
> > I know libsensors is not yet 2.6 aware, but I thought sensed values
> > where available in sysfs if one wanted to manually read them. Since I
> > have via hardware:
>
> If there is any interest, I have a perl program that does a configurable
> display for 2.6

That perl script would be nice. You could send it to me privately or
the list if its not to big then it would be in the archives.

Thanks
--
Josh McKinney | Webmaster: http://joshandangie.org
| They that can give up essential liberty
Linux, the choice -o) | to obtain a little temporary safety deserve
of the GNU generation /\ | neither liberty or safety.
_\_v | -Benjamin Franklin

2003-09-07 20:18:20

by linux-kernel

In article <20030907173515.GA15338@_orming>,
Josh McKinney <[email protected]> writes:
>> If there is any interest, I have a perl program that does a configurable
>> display for 2.6
>>

> That perl script would be nice. You could send it to me privately or
> the list if its not to big then it would be in the archives.
>
> Thanks

See http://www.xs4all.nl/~thospel/ASIS/bin/psensors

2003-09-08 06:22:09

by Andrey Borzenkov

> I know libsensors is not yet 2.6 aware, but I thought sensed values
> where available in sysfs if one wanted to manually read them. Since I
> have via hardware:

You could try patches in <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106234771107439&w=2>

They slightly modify kernel sensors names and add patch to libsensors
to deal with it. You have to build libsensors using kernel 2.4 sources
still but after that it should work for both 2.4 and 2.6.

-andrey

2003-09-09 17:07:13

by linux-kernel

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Ton Hospel) writes:

> See http://www.xs4all.nl/~thospel/ASIS/bin/psensors

An updated, documented and bugfixed version (0.02) of the program to
report sysfs based sensors values was just put on that site.