2003-09-11 12:57:46

by Mr. Mailing List

Subject: horrible usb keyboard bug with latest tests

Ok, for the last few test kernels, there is a horribly
annoying usb keyboard bug. after a while in X, or
just when you start putting some input, all the
keyboard lights on on my msnatpro keyboard. after
that, the keycodes are screwed up(like the left alt
button)

sometimes one key would stick, like
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

now with test 5, the keyboard seems to stop responding
completely

the only fix is to unplug/replug keyboard

help?

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

2003-09-11 13:46:58

by Gábor Lénárt

Subject: Re: horrible usb keyboard bug with latest tests

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:57:44AM -0700, Mr. Mailing List wrote:
> Ok, for the last few test kernels, there is a horribly
> annoying usb keyboard bug. after a while in X, or
> just when you start putting some input, all the
> keyboard lights on on my msnatpro keyboard. after
> that, the keycodes are screwed up(like the left alt
> button)
>
> sometimes one key would stick, like
> kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

For me too, even with a normal keyboard attached to the PS/2 keyboard port.
In my case it's very rare, and not a 'constant stick' but short 'pulse' of
the same character like displaying 'kkkkkkkkk' in my terminal even if I'm
sure that I didn't forget my finger on the key. OK, it's not a showstopper
bug, but sometimes annoying. It's 2.6.0-test3 (vanilla).

I can't test 2.6.0-test4 because the machine is unusable with it: there is
no stable picture on the monitor even if I'm using ONLY VGA text console and
NOTHING else (nVidia Corporation NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] rev15). Screen
sometimes blank (monitor goes to sleep), sometimes the picture just jumping
crazy to random position in the video memory in case of scroll (or an effect
like this) etc. I can't test test5 yet because the lack of time, though.

- G?bor (larta'H)

2003-09-11 15:23:55

by Pau Aliagas

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, [iso-8859-2] G?bor L?n?rt wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:57:44AM -0700, Mr. Mailing List wrote:
> > Ok, for the last few test kernels, there is a horribly
> > annoying usb keyboard bug. after a while in X, or
> > just when you start putting some input, all the
> > keyboard lights on on my msnatpro keyboard. after
> > that, the keycodes are screwed up(like the left alt
> > button)
> >
> > sometimes one key would stick, like
> > kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
>
> For me too, even with a normal keyboard attached to the PS/2 keyboard port.

It happens to me since I instaled RH9. I've tried all the kernels to no
success. In RH8 it definately did not happen, so it must be some user
space thing.

Pau

2003-09-11 21:38:27

by Andries Brouwer

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 03:46:08PM +0200, G?bor L?n?rt wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:57:44AM -0700, Mr. Mailing List wrote:
> > Ok, for the last few test kernels, there is a horribly
> > annoying usb keyboard bug. after a while in X, or
> > just when you start putting some input, all the
> > keyboard lights on on my msnatpro keyboard. after
> > that, the keycodes are screwed up(like the left alt
> > button)
> >
> > sometimes one key would stick, like
> > kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
>
> For me too, even with a normal keyboard attached to the PS/2 keyboard port.
> In my case it's very rare, and not a 'constant stick' but short 'pulse' of
> the same character like displaying 'kkkkkkkkk' in my terminal even if I'm
> sure that I didn't forget my finger on the key. OK, it's not a showstopper
> bug, but sometimes annoying. It's 2.6.0-test3 (vanilla).

Yes, I see this too, but very infrequently.

For the 2.6 kernels key repeat is not taken from the keyboard but is
done via a kernel timer, and clearly the code is not quite correct.
I have not yet been able to detect it before I already
had hit the next key but maybe somebody else can answer:

When does this repeat stop?
Does it stop because the next key has been hit?

And: does it occur more often when the machine has high load?

Andries

2003-09-11 22:40:21

by Andries Brouwer

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:57:44AM -0700, Mr. Mailing List wrote:

> Ok, for the last few test kernels, there is a horribly
> annoying usb keyboard bug. after a while in X, or
> just when you start putting some input, all the
> keyboard lights on on my msnatpro keyboard. after
> that, the keycodes are screwed up(like the left alt
> button)
>
> sometimes one key would stick, like
> kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
>
> now with test 5, the keyboard seems to stop responding
> completely
>
> the only fix is to unplug/replug keyboard
>
> help?

# All the keyboard lights.
That probably means that your keyboard did a reset.

# the keycodes are screwed up (like the left alt button)
Most keys are still OK but a few, like left alt, have become bad?

# now with test 5, the keyboard seems to stop responding completely
Do you mean it doesnt work at boot time?
Or do you mean that you work for a while, a reset happens,
and after that the keyboard is dead?

# kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
I asked elsewhere - let me repeat the question:
does this repeat stop (only) when you hit the next key?

Andries

2003-09-11 22:50:16

by Andrew Morton

Andries Brouwer <[email protected]> wrote:

> > For me too, even with a normal keyboard attached to the PS/2 keyboard port.
> > In my case it's very rare, and not a 'constant stick' but short 'pulse' of
> > the same character like displaying 'kkkkkkkkk' in my terminal even if I'm
> > sure that I didn't forget my finger on the key. OK, it's not a showstopper
> > bug, but sometimes annoying. It's 2.6.0-test3 (vanilla).
>
> Yes, I see this too, but very infrequently.
>
> For the 2.6 kernels key repeat is not taken from the keyboard but is
> done via a kernel timer, and clearly the code is not quite correct.
> I have not yet been able to detect it before I already
> had hit the next key but maybe somebody else can answer:
>
> When does this repeat stop?
> Does it stop because the next key has been hit?
>
> And: does it occur more often when the machine has high load?

It happens to me madly on one of my machines. The machine is just some
three-year-old PS/2 setup. It's due to mouse activity.

To reproduce:

1: press and hold a key

2: start moving the mouse in large, rapid circles

3: release the key.

The keystrokes continue to be inserted for an arbitrarily long period: it's
easy to generate thousands of them. The mouse has to be moved in circles:
moving it from side-to-side causes small stops which allow things to
correct themselves.

It's quite irritating in practice.

2003-09-12 03:06:24

by Alberto Bertogli

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:38:23PM +0200, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 03:46:08PM +0200, G?bor L?n?rt wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:57:44AM -0700, Mr. Mailing List wrote:
> > > Ok, for the last few test kernels, there is a horribly
> > > annoying usb keyboard bug. after a while in X, or
> > > just when you start putting some input, all the
> > > keyboard lights on on my msnatpro keyboard. after
> > > that, the keycodes are screwed up(like the left alt
> > > button)
> > >
> > > sometimes one key would stick, like
> > > kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
> >
> > For me too, even with a normal keyboard attached to the PS/2 keyboard port.
> > In my case it's very rare, and not a 'constant stick' but short 'pulse' of
> > the same character like displaying 'kkkkkkkkk' in my terminal even if I'm
> > sure that I didn't forget my finger on the key. OK, it's not a showstopper
> > bug, but sometimes annoying. It's 2.6.0-test3 (vanilla).
>
> Yes, I see this too, but very infrequently.
>
> For the 2.6 kernels key repeat is not taken from the keyboard but is
> done via a kernel timer, and clearly the code is not quite correct.
> I have not yet been able to detect it before I already
> had hit the next key but maybe somebody else can answer:

I hit it too on a PS/2 Siemens keyboard, but surprisingly I could only
verify it with both windows keys on the right side of the keyboard (the
ones between altgr and ctrl). It has never happened with a 'regular' key.

It's not very frequent but I get it about once per day or so.

I use those keys to switch consoles, instead of using
alt + [left|right] arrow; and sometimes one gets stucked and scrolls the
consoles around until I press another key.

I'm pretty sure it's not the keyboard as it never happened in 2.4, and
it's been happening since 2.5.5X or .6X IIRC (in fact I think I posted
something about it).

> When does this repeat stop?
> Does it stop because the next key has been hit?

Yes, it stops on any keypress or, if I'm running X, when it hits the X
console.

> And: does it occur more often when the machine has high load?

I have no idea, I really never thought about it but I'll put load and see
what I can find.

Do you mean cpu load or some more complex vm load? (ie. I should "while
true; do true ; done" or "make -j bzImage" =)

Please let me know of anything else I can help you with.

Thanks,
Alberto

2003-09-12 09:14:37

by Daniel Blueman

I experienced some problems with the synaptics touchpad on a really old
laptop with linux-2.6.0-test4, where movement detected by the touchpad would
cause a stream of kernel messages to be logged.

I'll test again with test5. I doubt this is related to recent changes with
the posting events to the random pool on key and not mouse movement.

---

news:<[email protected]>...

--
Daniel J Blueman

now with test5, keycodes still go bonkers after a
while, but if i come back to computer from being away
for a few hours, the keyboard does not even respond
anymore(no lights or keystrokes) until i unplug/replug.