2003-09-15 11:27:49

by Stefano Rivoir

Subject: [2.6.0-t4/5] Error inserting module snd

Hi all

When inserting module snd, modprobe bails out saying

snd: Unknown parameter 'device_mode'

The result is that the sound is completely unavailable. This happens
with -test4 and -test5 (and -test5-mm2), but it was OK up to -test3,
IIRC.

Sorry if this was already reported

--
Stefano RIVOIR

2003-09-15 11:34:53

by Alex Riesen

Subject: Re: [2.6.0-t4/5] Error inserting module snd

Stefano Rivoir, Mon, Sep 15, 2003 13:27:44 +0200:
> When inserting module snd, modprobe bails out saying
>
> snd: Unknown parameter 'device_mode'

remove the parameter (device_mode). It could be in modprobe.conf, or in
your modprobe command line. There could be possibly others, obsoleted
parameters, so be prepared to remove more.

2003-09-15 11:39:49

by Roland Kuhn

Hi Stefano!

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Stefano Rivoir wrote:

> Hi all
>
> When inserting module snd, modprobe bails out saying
>
> snd: Unknown parameter 'device_mode'
>
> The result is that the sound is completely unavailable. This happens
> with -test4 and -test5 (and -test5-mm2), but it was OK up to -test3,
> IIRC.

This is a configuration error: check modprobe.conf for the options for snd and
remove the 'device_mode' part. Looks like the debian alsa stuff has this small
incompatibility with the 0.9.6 kernel modules. BTW, I had the problem with
-test3 already.

I am by no means an ALSA expert, but this solved the problem for me.

Ciao,
Roland

+---------------------------+-------------------------+
| TU Muenchen | |
| Physik-Department E18 | Raum 3558 |
| James-Franck-Str. | Telefon 089/289-12592 |
| 85747 Garching | Telefax 089/289-12570 |
+---------------------------+-------------------------+

2003-09-15 11:44:21

by Stefano Rivoir

Alex Riesen wrote:

> Stefano Rivoir, Mon, Sep 15, 2003 13:27:44 +0200:
>
>>When inserting module snd, modprobe bails out saying
>>
>>snd: Unknown parameter 'device_mode'
>

> remove the parameter (device_mode). It could be in modprobe.conf, or in
> your modprobe command line. There could be possibly others, obsoleted
> parameters, so be prepared to remove more.

Right, too easy, more than what I thought (it's easy to give the fault
to the kernel in these -testX days :P)

Thanks

--
Stefano RIVOIR