2003-09-26 04:44:52

by Ian molton

Subject: Nforce2 ethernet

Hi.

Anyone know how to get the Nforce2 ethernet working with a free driver?
I dont want to use binary shite on this box if I can help it...

I heard it was similar to the 8111e ethernet but changing the PCI IDs
didnt make it work (surprise surprise). It did seem to insmod and make
an attempt to do something but the MAC address was all zeros.

anyone got further than this?

--
Spyros lair: http://www.mnementh.co.uk/ |||| Maintainer: arm26 linux

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
ketchup.

2003-09-26 06:46:04

by Vojtech Pavlik

Subject: Re: Nforce2 ethernet

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 05:44:49AM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:

> Anyone know how to get the Nforce2 ethernet working with a free driver?
> I dont want to use binary shite on this box if I can help it...
>
> I heard it was similar to the 8111e ethernet but changing the PCI IDs
> didnt make it work (surprise surprise). It did seem to insmod and make
> an attempt to do something but the MAC address was all zeros.
>
> anyone got further than this?

Well, I was suggesting it originaly, but now it's verified - it's not
similar to the 8111e. It seems to be a nVidia design.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

2003-09-26 08:08:46

by Ian molton

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:45:59 +0200
Vojtech Pavlik <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, I was suggesting it originaly, but now it's verified - it's not
> similar to the 8111e. It seems to be a nVidia design.

Heh. tell you what, though - scared me witless when the machine *wouldnt
not* boot afterwards (it didnt lock, I just rebooted and it never
posted... I had to remove power AND short the CMOS before it
recovered... most boards you only need to short the CMOS - silly
design this one ;-)

Shant be trying that again in a hurry.

The binary module seems pretty straightforward. I might see if I can use
it as an excuse to learn X86 assembler (shudder), but I have some other
projects to do first. perhaps if no-ones done it by then I'll have a go.