2003-11-01 18:23:28

by Alexander Chacon

Subject: Modular ipv4 inquiries...

Hello!

I would like to know a few things about making the ipv4 code modular. I've been
working on a school assignment that requires implementing tunneling, but first
ipv4 must be modularized... it needs to be done using kernel 2.4.20

I see Eric Schenk tried to do it on an earlier kernel version (
http://www.cs-ipv6.lancs.ac.uk/ipv6/mail-archive/LinuxNetdev/1997-03/0218.html
), a few years ago. What should I consider for a start, and how hard can it be
in the end?

I've experienced a lot of undefined symbol references which are linked to core
kernel files!, isn't there a way to access these symbols from the module into
the kernel while executing?

Thanks in advance
Alexander Chacon

2003-11-01 18:33:40

by Matti Aarnio

Subject: Re: Modular ipv4 inquiries...

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 12:25:34PM -0600, Alexander Chacon wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I would like to know a few things about making the ipv4 code modular. I've been
> working on a school assignment that requires implementing tunneling, but first
> ipv4 must be modularized... it needs to be done using kernel 2.4.20
>
> .... What should I consider for a start, and how hard can it be
> in the end?

When I did it way back when once, it took me 1 or 2 days to do
basic modularization, where the IPv4 is installable once, and
will stay in forever (like IPv6 is now). To make it uninstallable
took me another week.

> I've experienced a lot of undefined symbol references which are linked
> to core kernel files!, isn't there a way to access these symbols from
> the module into the kernel while executing?

Yes. You need to export them from basic core.

> Thanks in advance
> Alexander Chacon

/Matti Aarnio

2003-11-02 19:02:38

by Mike Fedyk

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 12:25:34PM -0600, Alexander Chacon wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I would like to know a few things about making the ipv4 code modular. I've been
> working on a school assignment that requires implementing tunneling, but first
> ipv4 must be modularized... it needs to be done using kernel 2.4.20

Can you work on the 2.6 tree instead? Thay way your work might have a
chance of being integrated when 2.7 starts up.