2003-11-24 06:40:19

by Junio C Hamano

Subject: [OT] Re: Linux 2.6.0-test10

Sorry for being paranoid, but is this message really from the
real Linus? I have never seen Linus' e-mail with long lines
folded with '=' at the end of line, nor with charset ISO-8859-1.

2003-11-24 07:02:23

by Zwane Mwaikambo

Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Linux 2.6.0-test10

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Sorry for being paranoid, but is this message really from the
> real Linus? I have never seen Linus' e-mail with long lines
> folded with '=' at the end of line, nor with charset ISO-8859-1.

You can normally tell by the thoroughly ancient Pine version ;)

2003-11-24 07:05:53

by Stan Bubrouski

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 01:40, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Sorry for being paranoid, but is this message really from the
> real Linus? I have never seen Linus' e-mail with long lines
> folded with '=' at the end of line, nor with charset ISO-8859-1.

The message by all indication is from Linus. I do not see the the lines
folded with '=' as you point out, but I do see the content-type as
charset ISO-8859-1, but I don't see Linus using Latin 1 as suspicious at
all. Finally someone more paranoid than me ;-)

-sb

> -

signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2003-11-24 07:52:41

by Gene Heskett

On Monday 24 November 2003 01:40, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>Sorry for being paranoid, but is this message really from the
>real Linus? I have never seen Linus' e-mail with long lines
>folded with '=' at the end of line, nor with charset ISO-8859-1.

Its not being displayed that way here, using kmail from kde-3.1.1a.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

by Ville Herva

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 02:00:58AM -0500, you [Zwane Mwaikambo] wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
> > Sorry for being paranoid, but is this message really from the
> > real Linus? I have never seen Linus' e-mail with long lines
> > folded with '=' at the end of line, nor with charset ISO-8859-1.
>
> You can normally tell by the thoroughly ancient Pine version ;)

Which could cause uneasiness to a paranoid person:

http://www.secunia.com/product/710/

-- v --

by Hacksaw

> Sorry for being paranoid, but is this message really from the
> real Linus? I have never seen Linus' e-mail with long lines
> folded with '=' at the end of line, nor with charset ISO-8859-1.

You don't think a message announcing the test10 release combined with that
release actually showing up on kernel.org is a good indicator that it really
is Linus? The release is there.

If I was going to spoof Linus's address, I'd try and say something more clever
than "here's another release, I may hand things off to Andrew soon, and I'm
thinking of naming it after another oddly modified small furry mammal."

If it was spoofed, this person may have saved Linus some valuable time with
his family. :-)
--
In popular culture, the musician calls on the highest part in all of us.
In mass culture, the musician addresses the lower parts of what we are.

2003-11-24 15:10:45

by Linus Torvalds

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

> You can normally tell by the thoroughly ancient Pine version ;)

Ok, ok, ok. Rub it in.

Happy now?

Linus

2003-11-24 16:43:09

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> >
> > You can normally tell by the thoroughly ancient Pine version ;)

> Ok, ok, ok. Rub it in.
>
> Happy now?

Much better =)

2003-11-24 20:00:58

by Junio C Hamano

I checked with http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/, and as you say
there is no '=' folding. It could be done at fa.linux.kernel
news gateway I use to read l-k..

2003-11-24 20:14:04

by John Bradford

Quote from Junio C Hamano <[email protected]>:

> SB> The message by all indication is from Linus. I do not see the the lines
> SB> folded with '=' as you point out, but I do see the content-type as
> SB> charset ISO-8859-1, but I don't see Linus using Latin 1 as suspicious at
> SB> all. Finally someone more paranoid than me ;-)
>
> I checked with http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/, and as you say
> there is no '=' folding. It could be done at fa.linux.kernel
> news gateway I use to read l-k..

No, it _was_ in the raw mail from vger.kernel.org.

John.

2003-11-24 20:26:21

by Ricky Beam

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, John Bradford wrote:
>No, it _was_ in the raw mail from vger.kernel.org.

It's called mime encoding people. Thank you, please drive through.

--Ricky

2003-11-24 21:53:18

by John Bradford

Quote from Ricky Beam <[email protected]>:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, John Bradford wrote:
> >No, it _was_ in the raw mail from vger.kernel.org.
>
> It's called mime encoding people. Thank you, please drive through.

I am aware what mime encoding is. I was just confirming that it was
nothing to do with a broken gateway, which was suggested in a previous
post.

John.