2004-01-13 01:54:08

by Chris K. Engel

Subject: Sun Type5 Mapping 2.4 -> 2.6

I've noticed something strange.
When updating to 2.6.1, my type5's mapping was really, really set off.
Nothing would work, period. (And I've noticed an abundance of mapping
issues on non-US keyboard layouts.)

The mapping works perfectly fine in <=2.4.24.

Honestly, I'm stumped. And nobody at all has been any help in resolving
this issue.

(Stuff like this is why I stuck with 2.2 until 2.2.21. Heh.)

Thank you in advance for your help.

------------------------------------
Hier liegt ein Mann ganz obnegleich;
Im Leibe dick, an Suden reich.
Wir haben ihn in das Grab gesteckt,
Weil es uns dunkt er sei verreckt.
-PDQ Bach's Epitaph.
------------------------------------

Chris K. Engel

2004-01-13 02:07:58

by Ciaran McCreesh

Subject: Re: Sun Type5 Mapping 2.4 -> 2.6

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:54:02 -0600 (CST) "Chris K. Engel"
<[email protected]> wrote:
| I've noticed something strange.
| When updating to 2.6.1, my type5's mapping was really, really set off.
| Nothing would work, period. (And I've noticed an abundance of mapping
| issues on non-US keyboard layouts.)

This one has been discussed several times on the sparc-linux mailing
list :) See this thread:

Short summary:

In 2.6.x, you need to use x86-style keymaps instead of sunkeymap. In
Gentoo, you do this by editing the KEYMAP setting in /etc/rc.conf . In
Debian, use `dpkg-reconfigure console-data` to select an i386 keymap. In
other distros, do whatever it is that distro uses to select a keymap.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail: ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web: http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm

Attachments:
(No filename) (847.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Ben Collins

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 07:54:02PM -0600, Chris K. Engel wrote:
> I've noticed something strange.
> When updating to 2.6.1, my type5's mapping was really, really set off.
> Nothing would work, period. (And I've noticed an abundance of mapping
> issues on non-US keyboard layouts.)

Everything in 2.6 is an i386 key mapping. Switch your console key
mapping to an i386 type, or just plain old disable the console key
mapping and leave it up to the kernel (which is what I do).

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/

2004-01-13 04:05:39

by Chris K. Engel

Wow, I'm going to find the announcement for this, I'd love to see the
explanation for completely and blatantly trying to adhere uniformity
without at least a message in Documentation/Changes.

That's kind of... messed up.

---

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with it whatsoever, it's just the
deployment that has me partially peturbed.

Hier liegt ein Mann ganz obnegleich;
Im Leibe dick, an Suden reich.
Wir haben ihn in das Grab gesteckt,
Weil es uns dunkt er sei verreckt.
-PDQ Bach's Epitaph.

Chris K. Engel

PS: Thank you all for the tip-offs. I feel like even more of a moron now.
^_^