2004-01-14 09:15:28

by Nico Schottelius

Subject: Slow Networking in 2.5/2.6

Hello!

I am having problems with several cards in Linux 2.6:
- 3com 3c905
- rtl8139

The rates in a 100Mbit/s network I get are nearly exaclty
1MB/s.

Currently I am sitting on the notebook with the rtl8139 card,
so if someone has hints to debug this I can respond very fast.

Btw, yes, other hosts have better rates. Normally we have 8MB/s
when scp-ing:

Host me ---> fileserver: 1MB/s
Host me ---> host test: 1MB/s
Host other ---> fileserver: 8MB/s
Host test ---> fileserver: 5-7MB/s

Greetings,

Nico

ps: dmesg attached

--
Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available.
pgp: 8D0E E27A | Nico Schottelius

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Nico Schottelius

Subject: Re: Slow Networking in 2.5/2.6 [reasons]

Well, now I have some more information, which make me wonder:

I am currently trying to debug the rtl8139 card:

00:05.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

00:05.0 Class 0200: 10ec:8139 (rev 10)

Subsystem: 10ec:8139
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Step
ping- SERR+ FastB2B-

What makes me wondering is the attached output of mii-diag and
8139-diag, can somebody tell me why the values are non standard and
why the flow control is disabled?

Greetings,

Nico

--
Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available.
pgp: 8D0E E27A | Nico Schottelius
http://nerd-hosting.net | http://linux.schottelius.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)