2004-01-14 06:40:35

by Brian McGroarty

Subject: USB KVM breaks under 2.6.0

I have a Belkin Omniview SE 4, a four port KVM, with keyboard and
mouse provided to a Linux box via USB.

Under 2.4.23, the device works well. The keyboard and mouse are
detected.

Under 2.6.0 (Debian build), the keyboard is not recognized.

I have verified that hid and usbkbd are loaded, and if I plug a USB
keyboard directly into the machine, the keyboard is recognized
properly.

/proc/bus/usb is empty -- with 2.4, I would have gone there to verify
that the device was seen. Is there any data I can pull from 2.6 which
might help diagnose this?

Is /proc/bus/input/handlers the proper analog?

pbit:/proc/bus/input# cat handlers
N: Number=0 Name=kbd

Attachments:
(No filename) (655.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: USB KVM breaks under 2.6.0

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:40:32AM -0600, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> I have a Belkin Omniview SE 4, a four port KVM, with keyboard and
> mouse provided to a Linux box via USB.
>
> Under 2.4.23, the device works well. The keyboard and mouse are
> detected.
>
> Under 2.6.0 (Debian build), the keyboard is not recognized.
>
> I have verified that hid and usbkbd are loaded, and if I plug a USB
> keyboard directly into the machine, the keyboard is recognized
> properly.

NEVER use the usbkbd driver, unless you _really_ know what you are
doing. Please read the config help entry for that item.

> /proc/bus/usb is empty -- with 2.4, I would have gone there to verify
> that the device was seen. Is there any data I can pull from 2.6 which
> might help diagnose this?

Did you mount usbfs there?

thanks,

greg k-h

2004-01-16 05:59:45

by Brian McGroarty

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:50:41PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:40:32AM -0600, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> > I have a Belkin Omniview SE 4, a four port KVM, with keyboard and
> > mouse provided to a Linux box via USB.
> >
> > Under 2.4.23, the device works well. The keyboard and mouse are
> > detected.
> >
> > Under 2.6.0 (Debian build), the keyboard is not recognized.
>
> NEVER use the usbkbd driver, unless you _really_ know what you are
> doing. Please read the config help entry for that item.

I had two problems. Once the second problem was resolved, pulling
usbkbd from the picture made operation more consistent between
directly-plugged and KVM-switched keyboards.

For the second problem, the uhci driver changed names from 2.4 to
2.6. If others google(v) for this problem and find this post, you want
the module "uhci_hcd" and not "usb-uhci" when going from 2.4 to 2.6

The original USB loader daemon I was using recognized the change, but
the second I had tried and was still using did not. I've sent notes to
ask Documentation/input/input.txt to be updated, and I've filed a bug
against the second daemon.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.14 kB)