2004-01-19 11:08:24

by Nikita V. Youshchenko

Subject: System died because of ide-scsi

Hello.

I'm not sure where to report bugs in ide-scsi in kernel 2.4, so trying
here ...

I've just suffered a system misbehaviour that ended with a system crash on
a production server running Linux kernel 2.4.24 SMP. This server acts as
terminal server here, running 10-15 KDE sessions.

The problem happened when someone started CD recording operation while CD
was mounted. (It's interesting why he was able to do that, but that's
another story).

After that, system because very unresponsive (up to 10 seconds to process a
key press). System load meter was able to refresh it's screen for several
times, and showed both CPUs were "100% SYS".

It wass possible to switch server console from X to text console (athough
it took up to mitute to process Ctrl+Alt+F1). On the text cousole, about
onse a second the following line was printed:

ide-scsi: Strange, packet command initiated yet DRQ isn't asserted

I could log in as root on the console and type several commands (again, up
to 10 seconds to process a key press). I tried to reset the device using
hdparm, and that caused kernel oops.

I don't feel I can debug this problem myself. However, if it will help, I
will provide all system information on request.

2004-01-19 11:20:23

by Oliver Feiler

Subject: Re: System died because of ide-scsi

On Monday 19 January 2004 12:08, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm not sure where to report bugs in ide-scsi in kernel 2.4, so trying
> here ...

[...]

> ide-scsi: Strange, packet command initiated yet DRQ isn't asserted
>
> I could log in as root on the console and type several commands (again, up
> to 10 seconds to process a key press). I tried to reset the device using
> hdparm, and that caused kernel oops.

Hm, I reported what looks like a similar problem some time ago. At least the
symptom, but not what caused it. Though I didn't get an oops.

See my previous mail:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0312.2/0792.html

Also got "ide-scsi: Strange, packet command initiated yet DRQ isn't asserted"
and afaict this happened the first time since I used 2.4.23. Maybe it is the
same problem?

If you got an oops you should probably post it. After running through ksymoops
of course. :)

Bye,
Oliver

--
Oliver Feiler <kiza@(kcore.de|lionking.org|gmx[pro].net)>

2004-01-20 09:26:47

by Nikita V. Youshchenko

Hello,

> See my previous mail:
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0312.2/0792.html

I don't think it is the same.

> If you got an oops you should probably post it. After running through
> ksymoops of course. :)

Unfortunately the oops dump was lost (it was on the console of the crashed
server, and the server was rebooted immidiatly.

However, I found some information, including some traces, in system logs.
It is attached.

Attachments:
(No filename) (443.00 B)
log.bz2 (14.68 kB)