2004-01-22 15:23:27

by Julien Oster

Subject: parhelia doesn't work anymore with 2.6.1

Hello,

I know the Matrox Parhelia kernel driver ist partly a binary only
driver, but I am not explicitly asking for support on that driver.

My question is: what has changed in AGP code or similar between 2.4.24
and 2.6.1 that can make my Parhelia unusable?

With 2.6.1, I can't use X anymore. Both of my screens seem to be cloned
upon each other (looks really freaky). Additionally, if I exit X, the
system locks up hard. It seems that something is wrong with the memory
mapping and that somehow the memory for the second screen gets mapped to
the same area as the memory for the first screen.

So, what could be the kernel change that affects the memory mapping of
an AGP graphics card - and what would one do to fix that? I'll do it
myself, hoping that it's in the open source portion of the driver (it
most certainly is)

Any ideas?

Regards,
Julien

2004-01-22 15:51:27

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: parhelia doesn't work anymore with 2.6.1

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 04:21:37PM +0100, Julien Oster wrote:

> I know the Matrox Parhelia kernel driver ist partly a binary only
> driver, but I am not explicitly asking for support on that driver.

actually, you are. agpgart works fine with free drivers.

> My question is: what has changed in AGP code or similar between 2.4.24
> and 2.6.1 that can make my Parhelia unusable?

'lots'. seriously, they're worlds apart. they're not the same driver any more.
in fact in 2.6, agpgart is multiple drivers.

Trying to use a 2.4 module on 2.6 is going to cause you pain. lots of pain.

Dave

2004-01-22 19:46:35

by Frédéric L. W. Meunier

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Julien Oster wrote:

> And you can not by chance point me to some locations where I can figure
> out myself, so that I could try to patch the opensource portion myself?
> It really looks like all relevant code would be in the opensource
> portion.
>
> Judging from my point of view I think it must have something to do with
> different memory mapping or the like, as it looks like my X server
> (independent mode, so I should actually have two framebuffers) is
> writing into the same (physical?) memory area for both screens.
>
> Just give me some hints where I should start browsing the code, I can
> figure out thinks myself then. Pretty, pretty please :-)

What about (also) asking for support at
http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewforum.php?f=2 ?

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

2004-01-22 15:59:56

by Julien Oster

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 03:50:16PM +0000, Dave Jones wrote:

Hello Dave,

> > I know the Matrox Parhelia kernel driver ist partly a binary only
> > driver, but I am not explicitly asking for support on that driver.

> actually, you are. agpgart works fine with free drivers.

Yeah, but actually, I'm pretty desperate :)

> > My question is: what has changed in AGP code or similar between 2.4.24
> > and 2.6.1 that can make my Parhelia unusable?

> 'lots'. seriously, they're worlds apart. they're not the same driver any more.
> in fact in 2.6, agpgart is multiple drivers.

That last bit I know. And with agpgart and nvidia-agp loaded, it's
actually using AGP... but the screen is a real mess.