2004-01-23 14:50:50

by Karel Kulhavy

Subject: make in 2.6.x

Hello

Is it correct to issue "make bzImage modules modules_install"
or do I have to do make bzImage; make modules modules_install?

Is there any documentation where I can read answer to this question?

Cl<

2004-01-23 15:09:10

by Bas Mevissen

Subject: Re: make in 2.6.x

Karel Kulhav? wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is it correct to issue "make bzImage modules modules_install"
> or do I have to do make bzImage; make modules modules_install?

# make all modules_install install

Builds image and modules and installs them both. At least on Redhat,
also an initial ram disk is created and grub is adapted.

> Is there any documentation where I can read answer to this question?

# make help

and read the top-level Makefile itself. It is a quite readable file format.

Regards,

Bas.

2004-01-23 15:16:04

by Sam Ravnborg

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 02:50:48PM +0000, Karel Kulhav? wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is it correct to issue "make bzImage modules modules_install"
> or do I have to do make bzImage; make modules modules_install?

It is today supported that you specify all targets in one line.
The preferred way to do this is to use:

make all modules_install

'all' will build bot default target and modules - and works across
all architectures.

> Is there any documentation where I can read answer to this question?

No, the top-level README could have included this, but does not so today.

Sam

2004-01-23 15:21:48

by Karel Kulhavy

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:00:35AM -0500, Jeremy Andrews wrote:
> > Is it correct to issue "make bzImage modules modules_install"
> > or do I have to do make bzImage; make modules modules_install?
> >
> > Is there any documentation where I can read answer to this question?
>
> make help
>
> Cheers,
> -Jeremy

I have read make help and skimmed through README however what I learned is
that the sequence "make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install" is
correct, but found no approval or disapproval for
"make bzImage modules modules_install"

Cl<

2004-01-23 15:39:16

by David Woodhouse

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 16:20 +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 02:50:48PM +0000, Karel Kulhavý wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > Is it correct to issue "make bzImage modules modules_install"
> > or do I have to do make bzImage; make modules modules_install?
>
> It is today supported that you specify all targets in one line.

Last time I tried, there were bugs with 'make -j3 bzImage modules'. Is
that now fixed?

--
dwmw2

2004-01-23 17:31:30

by Wakko Warner

> Is it correct to issue "make bzImage modules modules_install"
> or do I have to do make bzImage; make modules modules_install?
>
> Is there any documentation where I can read answer to this question?

I see nothing wrong with the first invocation, the second you should change
the ; to &&. if make bzImage fails, it'll stop there.

I typically do all seperate like this:
make -j 20 bzImage && make -j 20 modules && make -j modules_install

Sometimes it doesn't complete, not sure why.

by Sam Ravnborg

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:42:24PM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > Is it correct to issue "make bzImage modules modules_install"
> > or do I have to do make bzImage; make modules modules_install?
> >
> > Is there any documentation where I can read answer to this question?
>
> I see nothing wrong with the first invocation, the second you should change
> the ; to &&. if make bzImage fails, it'll stop there.
>
> I typically do all seperate like this:
> make -j 20 bzImage && make -j 20 modules && make -j modules_install
>
> Sometimes it doesn't complete, not sure why.

Could you please enable verbose output, and send me a private mail with
the log when it fails.

Maybe I can dig out why it fails.
I'm sitting on UP here, so i usually never tries with -jN
where N > 2.

make V=1 -j20 && make V=1 -j20 modules && make V=1 -j20 modules_install

Sam