2004-01-25 11:51:41

by Matthias Andree

Subject: 2.6.2-rc in BK: Oops loading parport_pc.

a "bk pull" and enabled some PNP options, among them ISA PNP.

Find attached the gzipped config and a decoded oops. Does ksymoops 2.4
(using 2.4.8) understand Kernel 2.6 kallsyms? Doesn't seem so. 2.4.9
segfaults for me, haven't yet figured why.

--
Matthias Andree

(No filename) (390.00 B)
x2 (2.86 kB)
decoded oops when autoloading parport_pc
config.gz (8.20 kB)
gzipped configuration of same kernel

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: 2.6.2-rc in BK: Oops loading parport_pc.

Matthias Andree <[email protected]> wrote:

> a "bk pull" and enabled some PNP options, among them ISA PNP.

Often this is because some other, unrelated module left things registered
after it was removed. Or otherwise wrecked shared data structures.

So what you ned to do is to take careful note of what other modules were
loaded and unloaded leading up to the crash, and suspect those.

There is one known problem in this area: unloading 8250_pnp will wreck the
kobject tree. Try

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.2-rc1/2.6.2-rc1-mm3/broken-out/8250_pnp-cleanup.patch

2004-01-26 01:08:36

by Matthias Andree

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Matthias Andree <[email protected]> wrote:

> > a "bk pull" and enabled some PNP options, among them ISA PNP.
>
> Often this is because some other, unrelated module left things registered
> after it was removed. Or otherwise wrecked shared data structures.

The breakage is somehow related to CONFIG_PNP. I set that option to N,
ran "make oldconfig ; make", installed the kernel, rebooted, problem
gone.

--
Matthias Andree

by Bill Davidsen

In article <[email protected]>,
Matthias Andree <[email protected]> wrote:
| On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:
|
| > Matthias Andree <[email protected]> wrote:

| > > a "bk pull" and enabled some PNP options, among them ISA PNP.
| >
| > Often this is because some other, unrelated module left things registered
| > after it was removed. Or otherwise wrecked shared data structures.
|
| The breakage is somehow related to CONFIG_PNP. I set that option to N,
| ran "make oldconfig ; make", installed the kernel, rebooted, problem
| gone.

2.6.2-rc2:
root> grep PNP .config
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_ISAPNP=y
CONFIG_PNPBIOS=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPNP is not set
CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP=y

Boots and loads parport_pc just fine, so it looks as if either it got
fixed (likely) or other evildoers are at work.
--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by Adam Belay

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:08:32AM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > Matthias Andree <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > a "bk pull" and enabled some PNP options, among them ISA PNP.
> >
> > Often this is because some other, unrelated module left things registered
> > after it was removed. Or otherwise wrecked shared data structures.
>
> The breakage is somehow related to CONFIG_PNP. I set that option to N,
> ran "make oldconfig ; make", installed the kernel, rebooted, problem
> gone.
>
> --
> Matthias Andree

Are you using any modules other than parport_pc? Have you unloaded them
before loading parport_pc?

Thanks,
Adam

2004-01-27 11:22:23

by Matthias Andree

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Adam Belay wrote:

> Are you using any modules other than parport_pc? Have you unloaded them
> before loading parport_pc?

Plenty I have, and no, I haven't tried unloading (or, for that matter,
preferably not loading them in the first place) them. Will take a while
before I can test again, I don't have PNP requirements at the moment,
even my USB configuration is static.

--
Matthias Andree

by Matthias Andree

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:

> There is one known problem in this area: unloading 8250_pnp will wreck the
> kobject tree. Try
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.2-rc1/2.6.2-rc1-mm3/broken-out/8250_pnp-cleanup.patch

Works for me. Thank you.

--
Matthias Andree