2004-01-27 13:01:32

by Wakko Warner

Subject: [OT] Sco

There's a new virus out called W32/MyDoom.A that between feb 1st and 12th it
will DoS http://www.sco.com. I didn't see anything on the list about it this
morning so I thought I'd share.

by walt

Subject: Re: [OT] Sco

Wakko Warner wrote:
> There's a new virus out called W32/MyDoom.A that between feb 1st and 12th it
> will DoS http://www.sco.com. I didn't see anything on the list about it this
> morning so I thought I'd share.

So, are you suggesting that we all start using Outlook Express on Jan 31?

2004-01-27 16:19:17

by Timothy Miller

walt wrote:
> Wakko Warner wrote:
>
>> There's a new virus out called W32/MyDoom.A that between feb 1st and
>> 12th it
>> will DoS http://www.sco.com. I didn't see anything on the list about it this
>> morning so I thought I'd share.
>

> So, are you suggesting that we all start using Outlook Express on Jan 31?

As much as SCO disturbs me, these kinds of underhanded attacks against
them disgust me. They stoop to SCO's level, or worse. SCO can and will
be dealt with properly through the use of FACTS.

Besides, DoS attacks against SCO will only be blamed on the Linux
community. So the developer of that virus is either a complete idiot or
is acting to intentionally hurt our image.

2004-01-27 17:12:46

by Wakko Warner

> >> There's a new virus out called W32/MyDoom.A that between feb 1st and
> >> 12th it
> >> will DoS http://www.sco.com. I didn't see anything on the list about it this
> >> morning so I thought I'd share.
> >

> > So, are you suggesting that we all start using Outlook Express on Jan 31?

I never said this. I was only stating that the virus existed.

> As much as SCO disturbs me, these kinds of underhanded attacks against
> them disgust me. They stoop to SCO's level, or worse. SCO can and will
> be dealt with properly through the use of FACTS.

I did not imply that the linux community help spread this. Having to deal
with windows users (Add 'L's where appropriate), I've been bombarded with
this thing at work as I receive all virus infected emails.

> Besides, DoS attacks against SCO will only be blamed on the Linux
> community. So the developer of that virus is either a complete idiot or
> is acting to intentionally hurt our image.

If the former, then this is probably a windows person. After all, the virus
is for *windows* and not linux.

by James Simmons

> There's a new virus out called W32/MyDoom.A that between feb 1st and 12th it
> will DoS http://www.sco.com. I didn't see anything on the list about it this
> morning so I thought I'd share.

I seen the article on CNN's web site this morning. I also looked at other
news sites. I found the CNN article very smearing of the linux community.
There is no evidence that it is from the linux community but yet CNN
blames us. I find it very insulting. I recommend that everyone write a
letter or call CNN about this. We need to stop the FUD.

2004-01-27 20:28:35

by Mark Mielke

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:25:45PM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > Besides, DoS attacks against SCO will only be blamed on the Linux
> > community. So the developer of that virus is either a complete idiot or
> > is acting to intentionally hurt our image.
> If the former, then this is probably a windows person. After all, the virus
> is for *windows* and not linux.

Haha... you guys are thinking like sophisticated intellectuals.

Most likely, it is some teenage wannabe who is just trying to convince
themselves that they play a part in this drama called life. "Look how
cool I am!" (Of course - in the less socially ept circles, teenagers
can take the form of 40-year old geeks... hopefully nobody here... :-) )

Cheers,
mark

--
[email protected]/[email protected]/[email protected] __________________________
. . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder

and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/

2004-01-27 21:37:05

by Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 15:26, Mark Mielke wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:25:45PM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:
>> > Besides, DoS attacks against SCO will only be blamed on the
>> > Linux community. So the developer of that virus is either a
>> > complete idiot or is acting to intentionally hurt our image.

I agree with the latter interpretation. Somebody who wants to give
Darls unfounded rhetoric some traction in court next week.

>> If the former, then this is probably a windows person. After all,
>> the virus is for *windows* and not linux.
>
>Haha... you guys are thinking like sophisticated intellectuals.
>
>Most likely, it is some teenage wannabe who is just trying to
> convince themselves that they play a part in this drama called
> life. "Look how cool I am!" (Of course - in the less socially ept
> circles, teenagers can take the form of 40-year old geeks...
> hopefully nobody here... :-) )
>
>Cheers,
>mark

Or even a wannabe geek going on 70 :) And no, I didn't write it. And
I sure don't want to know enough about windows to be able to write a
worm, that would be against my religion. In my religion, windows is
the wrong answer.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,

by Maciej Żenczykowski

> I agree with the latter interpretation. Somebody who wants to give
> Darls unfounded rhetoric some traction in court next week.

Hell, this virus could have even been written by SCO (or someone working
for SCO or one of their shareholders) - precisely because it makes them
look like the victim - people have a tendency to feel sorry for poor
abused entities.

Cheers,
MaZe.

2004-01-27 22:06:26

by Krzysztof Halasa

Timothy Miller <[email protected]> writes:

> As much as SCO disturbs me, these kinds of underhanded attacks against
> them disgust me. They stoop to SCO's level, or worse. SCO can and
> will be dealt with properly through the use of FACTS.

Not sure if we need to deal with SCO at all. Who they are that they
require our attention?

> Besides, DoS attacks against SCO will only be blamed on the Linux
> community. So the developer of that virus is either a complete idiot
> or is acting to intentionally hurt our image.

Not sure if author of this virus (and/or other ones) has anything to do
with Linux and/or Linux community at all.

With some MS Windows programming community, maybe.
--
Krzysztof Halasa, B*FH

2004-01-28 00:04:33

by Thomas Zehetbauer

Looking at SCO I can hardly find any SERVICE and at least none that
could be denied by an attack on their website. In fact this virus may
even give them new ammo to spread FUD about linux and the community.

Tom