2004-03-11 15:19:30

by pinotj

Subject: [i386] 2.6.4 + cdrtools-2.01a27 REPORT

Hi,

I just wanted to report that cdrtools-2.01a27 seems to works well
with the new 2.6.4 kernel via ide-cd but there is a tricky thing
to know in order to compile the package, I had to use:

make COPTX='-Du8=UInt8_t -D__attribute_const__=__const__'

..to succeed compiling the libscg and so the binaries.
The first macro apply to linux/include/scsi/scsi.h and the
second to linux/include/asm-i386/byteorder.h

The burning process was OK for me but I would like to know if
there is possibly some bad side effects and why __const__ was changed for __attribute_const__ (yeah, I don't know the difference and I'm curious ;-)

I post this because I think it will maybe help some people that want to switch to a 2.6 and burn some CD quickly.

Regards,

Jerome Pinot

2004-03-11 16:23:19

by Damian Kolkowski

Subject: Re: [i386] 2.6.4 + cdrtools-2.01a27 REPORT

* [email protected] <[email protected]> [2004-03-11 16:32]:
> I post this because I think it will maybe help some people that want to
> switch to a 2.6 and burn some CD quickly.

For me 2.6.x is useles, because freambuffer lack my radeon (rv25if), but
cdrtools is worth of use even in 2.6.x so amall question: why using 2.01a27
instead of 2.00.3?

I would like to compile gentoo in chroot but wondering witch kernel too use...

--
# Damian *dEiMoS* Ko?kowski # http://kolkowski.no-ip.org/ #

2004-03-11 17:51:03

by Luca

Damian Kolkowski <[email protected]> ha scritto:
> * [email protected] <[email protected]> [2004-03-11 16:32]:
>> I post this because I think it will maybe help some people that want to
>> switch to a 2.6 and burn some CD quickly.
>
> For me 2.6.x is useles, because freambuffer lack my radeon (rv25if),

Which driver are you using? This card should be supported by the new
driver (and afaics also from the old one). If the new driver doesn't
work for you can you send me a "lspci -nvvv" of your board?

thanks,
Luca
--
Home: http://kronoz.cjb.net
Tentare e` il primo passo verso il fallimento.

2004-03-11 19:47:58

by Damian Kolkowski

* Kronos <[email protected]> [2004-03-11 18:53]:
> >> I post this because I think it will maybe help some people that want to
> >> switch to a 2.6 and burn some CD quickly.
> >
> > For me 2.6.x is useles, because freambuffer lack my radeon (rv25if),
>
> Which driver are you using? This card should be supported by the new
> driver (and afaics also from the old one). If the new driver doesn't
> work for you can you send me a "lspci -nvvv" of your board?

Yep it's should but now in new version it's evil code :-)

Two drivers old and new one just won't listen to append i lilo.conf, even
fbset on old radeonfb mess with consle, demolish resolution to some unsuported
value.
New one is better, just use fbset -a -fb /dev/fb0 -depth 32 1024x768-100 and
you have one small screan i upper left corner off your screan ;-)
Bigger resolutions makes it smeller.

I was writing abaut new radeonfb to Ben, he knows about this. The mess with
old version starts since 2.6.4-rc2-cset103 (when I comple it on gentoo and
slackwe).

--
# Damian *dEiMoS* Ko?kowski # http://kolkowski.no-ip.org/ #

2004-03-11 20:03:59

by Luca

Il Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 08:47:14PM +0100, Damian Kolkowski ha scritto:
> * Kronos <[email protected]> [2004-03-11 18:53]:
> > Which driver are you using? This card should be supported by the new
> > driver (and afaics also from the old one). If the new driver doesn't
> > work for you can you send me a "lspci -nvvv" of your board?
>
> Yep it's should but now in new version it's evil code :-)
>
> Two drivers old and new one just won't listen to append i lilo.conf, even
> fbset on old radeonfb mess with consle, demolish resolution to some unsuported
> value.
> New one is better, just use fbset -a -fb /dev/fb0 -depth 32 1024x768-100 and
> you have one small screan i upper left corner off your screan ;-)
> Bigger resolutions makes it smeller.

You need to use stty to adjust the number of rows and cols. Pay
attention to values you use, otherwise your machine will die due to
massive memory corruption...

Luca
--
Home: http://kronoz.cjb.net
"It is more complicated than you think"

2004-03-11 20:27:31

by Damian Kolkowski

* Kronos <[email protected]> [2004-03-11 21:09]:
> You need to use stty to adjust the number of rows and cols. Pay
> attention to values you use, otherwise your machine will die due to
> massive memory corruption...

Since it's not automaticly in two version of radeonfb it's not woths to use
for me.

Generally 2.6.x it's develop for me, so I will wait with using it to some
2.6.20 maby ;-)

--
# Damian *dEiMoS* Ko?kowski # http://kolkowski.no-ip.org/ #