2004-03-12 23:15:30

by Witold Krecicki

Subject: snd-powermac volume setting broken?

When I use alsa snd-powermac driver, the lowest volume setting (but without
muting) is at about half of full volume, it's impossible to get any volume
level between mute and vol=0. Is that a bug or a feature?
--
Witold Kr?cicki (adasi) adasi [at] culm.net
GPG key: 7AE20871

2004-03-14 17:44:45

by Celso González

Subject: Re: snd-powermac volume setting broken?

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 12:15:17AM +0100, Witold Krecicki wrote:
> When I use alsa snd-powermac driver, the lowest volume setting (but without
> muting) is at about half of full volume, it's impossible to get any volume
> level between mute and vol=0. Is that a bug or a feature?

Just a me too
This happens in the change from 2.6.4-rc1 to 2.6.4-rc2
I have checked the changelog and there is no change in the sound section
(perhaps a change in timer.c?)

Best regards

--
Celso Gonzalez

Attachments:
(No filename) (489.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Takashi Iwai

At Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:15:17 +0100,
Witold Krecicki wrote:

> When I use alsa snd-powermac driver, the lowest volume setting (but without
> muting) is at about half of full volume, it's impossible to get any volume
> level between mute and vol=0. Is that a bug or a feature?

not a bug - the chip doesn't support the level below vol=0 and it's
not totally silent.

Takashi

2004-03-15 10:12:38

by Witold Krecicki

Dnia poniedzia?ek 15 marzec 2004 11:07, napisa?e?:
> At Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:15:17 +0100,
>
> Witold Krecicki wrote:
> > When I use alsa snd-powermac driver, the lowest volume setting (but
> > without muting) is at about half of full volume, it's impossible to get
> > any volume level between mute and vol=0. Is that a bug or a feature?
>
> not a bug - the chip doesn't support the level below vol=0 and it's
> not totally silent.
but it's not like 'not totally silent' but 'pretty loud'. On OSX volume scale
is just fine.
--
Witold Kr?cicki (adasi) adasi [at] culm.net
GPG key: 7AE20871
http://www.culm.net

2004-03-15 10:17:23

by Takashi Iwai

At Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:12:21 +0100,
Witold Krecicki wrote:

> Dnia poniedzia?ek 15 marzec 2004 11:07, napisa?e?:
> > At Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:15:17 +0100,
> >
> > Witold Krecicki wrote:
> > > When I use alsa snd-powermac driver, the lowest volume setting (but
> > > without muting) is at about half of full volume, it's impossible to get
> > > any volume level between mute and vol=0. Is that a bug or a feature?
> >
> > not a bug - the chip doesn't support the level below vol=0 and it's
> > not totally silent.
> but it's not like 'not totally silent' but 'pretty loud'. On OSX volume scale
> is just fine.

ok, my comment was a rough guess which i experienced once (IIRC, it
was a screamer). so let me know the chipset on your machine, shown in
/proc/asound/cards. if it's tumbler or snapper, this behavior should
be a bug of the driver.

Takashi