2004-03-15 22:33:32

by Oliver Vogel

Subject: Linux 2.6.4 - Card Reader not working

Hello everybody!

I got a little problem with a Memory Card Reader under Linux 2.6.4.

I enabled usb (both ehci and uhci) support, usb storage support in the
kernel, as well as scsi support and scsi disk support.
Mounting usb sticks works well, also the Card Reader shows at lsusb (see
below).
Also, there is a device /dev/sda (or rather
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc, I'm using devfs), but when I
insert an SD card into the reader, there is no sda1 (or rather target1)
appearing.
I also tried enabling probe all LUNs, with the result that the device
didn't appear in lsusb anymore.

I already asked in a Linux hardware newsgroup, but nobody seems to have
a clue...

Any hints?

Regards,

Oliver.

Here the output of lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0db0:6982 Micro Star International Medion Flash
XL V2.7A Card Reader Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

2004-03-15 22:40:26

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.4 - Card Reader not working

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 11:31:06PM +0100, Oliver Vogel wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I got a little problem with a Memory Card Reader under Linux 2.6.4.
>
> I enabled usb (both ehci and uhci) support, usb storage support in the
> kernel, as well as scsi support and scsi disk support.
> Mounting usb sticks works well, also the Card Reader shows at lsusb (see
> below).
> Also, there is a device /dev/sda (or rather
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc, I'm using devfs), but when I
> insert an SD card into the reader, there is no sda1 (or rather target1)
> appearing.
> I also tried enabling probe all LUNs, with the result that the device
> didn't appear in lsusb anymore.
>
> I already asked in a Linux hardware newsgroup, but nobody seems to have
> a clue...
>
> Any hints?

I had a similar problem recently with a 6-in-1 reader I picked up.
Using..
modprobe scsi_mod max_luns=6

it could see all LUNs on the device (each slot was a seperate LUN).

If this works for you, send the scsi messages from dmesg output, and
it can be added to the list of devices to probe all luns.

Dave

2004-03-16 02:43:24

by Oliver Vogel

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:39:57 +0000, Dave Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> I had a similar problem recently with a 6-in-1 reader I picked up.
> Using..
> modprobe scsi_mod max_luns=6
>
> it could see all LUNs on the device (each slot was a seperate LUN).
>
> If this works for you, send the scsi messages from dmesg output, and
> it can be added to the list of devices to probe all luns.

It works - except one thing:

It successfully detects the Card Reader and I see 4 LUNs.
But when I plug in a card, no "part1" appears on the appropriate LUN.
If I plug in the card before loading the modules, part1 appears on the
LUN and I can mount the card.
(I know devfs is obsolete, but I didn't want to disable it yet)

I now needed to make usb-storage as well as the scsi stuff as modules in
order to load scsi_mod with the param.
Is there a way to pass the param to scsi when I compile usb-storage
and the scsi stuff into the kernel?

As requested, I attached the dmesg output from the modprobing of the usb
and scsi modules, and as this seems to be mainly about what happens with
usb_storage and scsi, I enabled verbose debugging for usb-storage.
The attached output is with the card in the card reader.
I hope this is the output you need.

The kernel is a vanilla 2.6.4. If you need any further information
please let me know.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Oliver.