2004-03-16 11:08:15

by Tillmann Steinbrecher

Subject: [PROBLEM] Firewire-related crashes in 2.6.4

Hi,

although not as unstable as in 2.6.3, the usage of my external FireWire
drive (Plextor 708A DVD burner with Oxford 911 FireWire interface) is
still causing freezes. This time the freezes occur randomly when reading
files from the drive, or when trying to rip a video DVD. It's a hard
crash - no mouse movement, no ping on the network. It is not always
reproducible, but occurs frequently.

Here's a screenshot of the resulting kernel panic (sorry for the .jpg, I
couldn't paste it as text, for obvious reasons):

http://www.t-st.org/panic.jpg

Here's my kernel .config:
http://www.t-st.org/kconf.txt

And here lspci:
http://www.t-st.org/lspci.txt

The system was running fine with identical config under 2.6.0, 2.6.1,
2.6.2. Under 2.6.3 crashes of the same kind occured when trying to burn
DVDs. Under 2.6.4 this problem was fixed, but the new crash-on-read
problem described here showed up.

I also have another problem with FireWire, which is probably unrelated -
this problem was also present in earlier 2.6 kernel releases:

Sometimes it happens that after I mount a DVD with data on it, I get
read errors. Unmounting and remounting the DVD solves this problem, it
can be read without problems after that. The error message on the
console is:

Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2204373
attempt to access beyond end of device
src: rw=0, want=8817500, limit=8640640
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2204374

Please CC: me replies, since I'm not subscribed.

best regards,
Tillmann

2004-03-16 13:20:37

by Ben Collins

Subject: Re: [PROBLEM] Firewire-related crashes in 2.6.4

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:08:40PM +0100, Tillmann Steinbrecher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> although not as unstable as in 2.6.3, the usage of my external FireWire
> drive (Plextor 708A DVD burner with Oxford 911 FireWire interface) is
> still causing freezes. This time the freezes occur randomly when reading
> files from the drive, or when trying to rip a video DVD. It's a hard
> crash - no mouse movement, no ping on the network. It is not always
> reproducible, but occurs frequently.
>
> Here's a screenshot of the resulting kernel panic (sorry for the .jpg, I
> couldn't paste it as text, for obvious reasons):
>
> http://www.t-st.org/panic.jpg

This is fixed in our latest SVN repo. There were some race issues around
the packet lists.

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/