2004-03-16 01:49:49

by Wakko Warner

Subject: deactivate dm disks?

I was playing with evms (2.2 kernel 2.6.3 vanilla) and some reason, it
grabbed my usb disk (sde) and won't let go of it. Is there any way I can
make it let go of the disk? It grabbed sde1 and sde2 of the disk.

I tried the deactivate which just gave me an invalid argument. I really do
not wish to reboot this machine just to remove the usb disk.

I also noticed it wanted to grab my partitions on sda which were already
mounted and couldn't grab them.

by Kevin Corry

Subject: Re: deactivate dm disks?

Hi Wakko,

On Monday 15 March 2004 7:56 pm, Wakko Warner wrote:
> I was playing with evms (2.2 kernel 2.6.3 vanilla) and some reason, it
> grabbed my usb disk (sde) and won't let go of it. Is there any way I can
> make it let go of the disk? It grabbed sde1 and sde2 of the disk.

You can put entries in your /etc/evms.conf file to tell EVMS to ignore certain
disks (e.g. if you don't want it to examine sde). See the "legacy_devices"
section (for 2.4 kernels) and/or the "sysfs_devices" section (for 2.6
kernels).

> I tried the deactivate which just gave me an invalid argument. I really do
> not wish to reboot this machine just to remove the usb disk.

If you have the "dmsetup" tool, you can issue a "dmsetup remove_all" command
to deactivate all the DM devices. Just make sure all the DM devices are
unmounted, or it won't actually release the underlying disks. Dmsetup is part
of the device-mapper package, available at ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/dm/.

> I also noticed it wanted to grab my partitions on sda which were already
> mounted and couldn't grab them.

Again, you can add an "exclude" entry in your /etc/evms.conf if you want EVMS
to ignore sda. Otherwise, have a look at
http://evms.sf.net/install/kernel.html#bdclaim

--
Kevin Corry
[email protected]

2004-03-16 19:13:37

by Wakko Warner

> > I was playing with evms (2.2 kernel 2.6.3 vanilla) and some reason, it
> > grabbed my usb disk (sde) and won't let go of it. Is there any way I can
> > make it let go of the disk? It grabbed sde1 and sde2 of the disk.
>
> You can put entries in your /etc/evms.conf file to tell EVMS to ignore certain
> disks (e.g. if you don't want it to examine sde). See the "legacy_devices"
> section (for 2.4 kernels) and/or the "sysfs_devices" section (for 2.6
> kernels).

Ok, great, that works.

> > I tried the deactivate which just gave me an invalid argument. I really do
> > not wish to reboot this machine just to remove the usb disk.
>
> If you have the "dmsetup" tool, you can issue a "dmsetup remove_all" command
> to deactivate all the DM devices. Just make sure all the DM devices are
> unmounted, or it won't actually release the underlying disks. Dmsetup is part
> of the device-mapper package, available at ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/dm/.

Ahh, thanks. That did the trick.

> > I also noticed it wanted to grab my partitions on sda which were already
> > mounted and couldn't grab them.
>
> Again, you can add an "exclude" entry in your /etc/evms.conf if you want EVMS
> to ignore sda. Otherwise, have a look at
> http://evms.sf.net/install/kernel.html#bdclaim

I think I'll only give it disks that I want in evms. The "sde" is a USB
disk that I move around alot.

If you're not the right person to ask, please direct me to someone else.
I was going to do a raid5 across a few disks (this is in the future not
now). Is there any way to add disks to that raid5 using evms?

by Kevin Corry

Subject: Re: [Evms-devel] Re: deactivate dm disks?

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 1:22 pm, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > > I also noticed it wanted to grab my partitions on sda which were
> > > already mounted and couldn't grab them.
> >
> > Again, you can add an "exclude" entry in your /etc/evms.conf if you want
> > EVMS to ignore sda. Otherwise, have a look at
> > http://evms.sf.net/install/kernel.html#bdclaim
>
> I think I'll only give it disks that I want in evms. The "sde" is a USB
> disk that I move around alot.
>
> If you're not the right person to ask, please direct me to someone else.
> I was going to do a raid5 across a few disks (this is in the future not
> now). Is there any way to add disks to that raid5 using evms?

I'm one of the right people to ask about EVMS. Please send questions to
[email protected] and the whole group will be able to provide
assistance.

EVMS will recognize and manage software raid devices, but currently doesn't
support expanding raid-5 devices. It's on our list for later this year. I
believe there's a stand-alone tool available that will let you do this
(google for raidreconf).

--
Kevin Corry
[email protected]