2004-03-16 18:51:24

by DervishD

Subject: 3-order allocation failed with cdda2wav

Hi all :)

I've recently started to use cdda2wav (I've been using cdparanoia
for years and wanted to take a look at cdda2wav), and I have a
problem: each time I use cdda2wav the kernel spills '__alloc_pages:
3-order allocation failed (gpf=0x20/0)' six times.

I'm using cdrtools 2.0.3, with kernel 2.4.25 and ide-scsi. I have
a Plextor CD-writer that I use to do CDDA ripping, but the problem
appears with other drives too (I've tested with a Liteon DVD, too).

Maybe a cdda2wav problem? Kernel problem?

In addition to this problem, I have another one, this time
related with interfaces: if I use the SCSI generic interface with
cdda2wav, it runs without problems (well, except that noted above)
but uses a lot of CPU (up to 60%), so I tested with cooked_ioctl
interface, and then the CPU use drops to 4% but I got two error
messages about CDIOCSETCDDA not available, but the allocation problem
DOES NOT HAPPEN :?

Any help? Thanks in advance :)

Ra?l N??ez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736

by Jens Axboe

Subject: Re: 3-order allocation failed with cdda2wav

On Tue, Mar 16 2004, DervishD wrote:
> Hi all :)
>
> I've recently started to use cdda2wav (I've been using cdparanoia
> for years and wanted to take a look at cdda2wav), and I have a
> problem: each time I use cdda2wav the kernel spills '__alloc_pages:
> 3-order allocation failed (gpf=0x20/0)' six times.
>
> I'm using cdrtools 2.0.3, with kernel 2.4.25 and ide-scsi. I have
> a Plextor CD-writer that I use to do CDDA ripping, but the problem
> appears with other drives too (I've tested with a Liteon DVD, too).
>
> Maybe a cdda2wav problem? Kernel problem?

You can ignore the messages, but yeah I know they are annoying...

> In addition to this problem, I have another one, this time
> related with interfaces: if I use the SCSI generic interface with
> cdda2wav, it runs without problems (well, except that noted above)
> but uses a lot of CPU (up to 60%), so I tested with cooked_ioctl
> interface, and then the CPU use drops to 4% but I got two error
> messages about CDIOCSETCDDA not available, but the allocation problem
> DOES NOT HAPPEN :?
>
> Any help? Thanks in advance :)

Upgrade to 2.6.5-rc1, it'll solve all your problems in this area :-)

--
Jens Axboe

2004-03-16 19:03:00

by DervishD

Hi Jens :)

* Jens Axboe <[email protected]> dixit:
> > Maybe a cdda2wav problem? Kernel problem?
> You can ignore the messages, but yeah I know they are annoying...

If I can safely ignore them, the only problem is the waste of
sectors for my /var/log/messages ;))) Men, you've answered REAL fast
;))) Thanks a lot :)

> > In addition to this problem, I have another one, this time
> > related with interfaces: if I use the SCSI generic interface with
> > cdda2wav, it runs without problems (well, except that noted above)
> > but uses a lot of CPU (up to 60%), so I tested with cooked_ioctl
> > interface, and then the CPU use drops to 4% but I got two error
> > messages about CDIOCSETCDDA not available, but the allocation problem
> > DOES NOT HAPPEN :?
> > Any help? Thanks in advance :)
> Upgrade to 2.6.5-rc1, it'll solve all your problems in this area :-)

Thanks for the advice :) I'm planning to switch to 2.6.x, but
first I must make a list with all software I must upgrade together
with the kernel. Moreover, I had in mind switching at 2.6.10.

Thanks a lot for answering so fast and for the advice :))

Ra?l N??ez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736