2004-03-23 10:28:05

by Mauro Stettler

Subject: cannot compile

hy

I got an error by compiling a kernel. I tried 2.4.x and 2.6.x, but it's
no difference, because of that I thought it must be a problem with gcc
or glibc and I recompiled them.

that's one try with 2.6.4:
CLEAN scripts
RM $(CLEAN_FILES)
HOSTCC scripts/fixdep
HOSTCC scripts/split-include
HOSTCC scripts/conmakehash
HOSTCC scripts/docproc
HOSTCC scripts/kallsyms
CC scripts/empty.o
HOSTCC scripts/mk_elfconfig
MKELF scripts/elfconfig.h
HOSTCC scripts/file2alias.o
HOSTCC scripts/modpost.o
HOSTCC scripts/sumversion.o
HOSTLD scripts/modpost
HOSTCC scripts/pnmtologo
HOSTCC scripts/bin2c
SPLIT include/linux/autoconf.h -> include/config/*
CC arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s
In file included from include/asm/system.h:5,
from include/asm/processor.h:18,
from include/linux/prefetch.h:13,
from include/linux/list.h:7,
from include/linux/signal.h:4,
from arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c:7:
include/linux/kernel.h:10:20: stdarg.h: No such file or directory
In file included from include/asm/system.h:5,
from include/asm/processor.h:18,
from include/linux/prefetch.h:13,
from include/linux/list.h:7,
from include/linux/signal.h:4,
from arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c:7:
include/linux/kernel.h:71: error: syntax error before "va_list"
include/linux/kernel.h:71: warning: function declaration isn't a
prototype
include/linux/kernel.h:74: error: syntax error before "va_list"
include/linux/kernel.h:74: warning: function declaration isn't a
prototype
include/linux/kernel.h:77: error: syntax error before "va_list"
include/linux/kernel.h:77: warning: function declaration isn't a
prototype
include/linux/kernel.h:81: error: syntax error before "va_list"
include/linux/kernel.h:81: warning: function declaration isn't a
prototype
make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
make: *** [arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 2

thanks for help

2004-03-23 11:38:56

by Marco Roeland

Subject: Re: cannot compile

On Tuesday March 23rd 2004 Mauro Stettler wrote:

> include/linux/kernel.h:10:20: stdarg.h: No such file or directory

There's something wrong with your gcc installation. It has nothing to do
with the kernel compilation perse.

stdarg.h is a part of the headers that are specific to each gcc version.
You'll normally find it somewhere below /usr/lib/gcc-lib.

Perhaps something went wrong during installation of your gcc (a full
disk or so) or you moved some directory trees, causing gcc no longer to
find its include files. Some directories are hardcoded into the gcc
executable during its compilation. If you have to move some things (to
work around full partitions say) use symlinks.

Try reinstalling gcc.
--
Marco Roeland