2004-03-25 23:48:37

by Christian Leber

Subject: Problem with remap_page_range/mmap

Hello,

I have a problem with mmaping memory to userspace.

It?s very simple:

addr = __get_free_pages(GFP_KERNEL,0);
int atoll_fops_mmap(struct file *filp, struct vm_area_struct *vma)
{
vma->vm_flags |= VM_SHM | VM_LOCKED | VM_IO;

if(remap_page_range_A(vma,
vma->vm_start, addr, 4096,
vma->vm_page_prot)) {
printk("remapping send space failed\n");
return -ENXIO;
}
*(unsigned long *)addr = 0x23;
printk("mmap finished, first bytes: %lx\n",*(unsigned long *)addr);
return 0;
}
int atoll_fops_release(struct inode *inode,struct file *filp)
{
printk("release, first bytes: %lx\n",*(unsigned long *)addr);
return 0;
}

complete code is here:
http://debian.christian-leber.de/mmap_problem/atollinit.txt
or as tar
http://debian.christian-leber.de/mmap_problem.tar.bz2

The stupid little testprogramm:
ptr=mmap(NULL,4096,PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,MAP_SHARED,fdopen,0);
if(ptr==-1) printf("ERROR\n");
*(ptr) = 0x42;
printf("%lx\n",*(ptr));

This works as expected with 2.6.3 on IA64
Testprogramm gives out "42"
and in the kernel log:
mmap finished, first bytes: 23
release, first bytes: 42

Now it gets odd:
On a Dual PIII; another one; dual xeon; another one; and a P3 laptop

The testprogramm gives out "ffffffff"
In the kernel log:
mmap finished, first bytes: 23
release, first bytes: 23

So never anything is written to memory.
(it also doesn?t depend on the kernel, i tried several
versions/configurations)

On a Duron (also tried with exact the same kernel from one of the
systems above), the Testprogramm gives correct output, but the kernel
log says:
mmap finished, first bytes: 23
release, first bytes: 23

So also nothing is actually written to the memory.

Is that a bug (can?t imagine) or do I do a really stupid error?

Christian Leber

--
"Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est." (Aurelius Augustinus)

2004-03-26 07:17:42

by Christoph Hellwig

Subject: Re: Problem with remap_page_range/mmap

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:48:04AM +0100, Christian Leber wrote:
> addr = __get_free_pages(GFP_KERNEL,0);
> int atoll_fops_mmap(struct file *filp, struct vm_area_struct *vma)
> {
> vma->vm_flags |= VM_SHM | VM_LOCKED | VM_IO;
>
> if(remap_page_range_A(vma,
> vma->vm_start, addr, 4096,
> vma->vm_page_prot)) {
> printk("remapping send space failed\n");
> return -ENXIO;
> }

You can't call remap_page_range on normal kernel pages. It works only
if you mark them PG_reserved, but even that use is usually not a good idea.

2004-03-26 09:36:34

by Christian Leber

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 07:17:39AM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> You can't call remap_page_range on normal kernel pages. It works only
> if you mark them PG_reserved, but even that use is usually not a good idea.

It also didn?t work with PG_reserved.
What would be the good idea? I need at least 8 at least 4MB (2MB are enough for 2.4)
big physical memory pieces for DMA, mapped to userspace.

What is the reason why it doesn?t work? There seems to be no special
remap_page_range for ia64.

Christian Leber

--
"Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est." (Aurelius Augustinus)
Translation: <http://gnuhh.org/work/fsf-europe/augustinus.html>

2004-03-26 09:46:59

by Christoph Hellwig

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:36:19AM +0100, Christian Leber wrote:
> It also didn?t work with PG_reserved.
> What would be the good idea? I need at least 8 at least 4MB (2MB are enough for 2.4)
> big physical memory pieces for DMA, mapped to userspace.
>
> What is the reason why it doesn?t work? There seems to be no special
> remap_page_range for ia64.

Put the page structs into an array and return them from ->nopage. The
kernel pagefault code will set up the ptes for you.

Now actually getting 4MB of continguous memory is a different issue..

I'm surprised you actually managed to get the allocation to succeed.

2004-03-26 10:00:14

by Hu Gang

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:46:56 +0000
Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:36:19AM +0100, Christian Leber wrote:
> > What would be the good idea? I need at least 8 at least 4MB (2MB are
> > enough for 2.4) big physical memory pieces for DMA, mapped to
> > userspace.
> >
> > remap_page_range for ia64.
>
> Put the page structs into an array and return them from ->nopage. The
> kernel pagefault code will set up the ptes for you.
>
> Now actually getting 4MB of continguous memory is a different issue..
>
> I'm surprised you actually managed to get the allocation to succeed.

There is more detailed information about make page usable to user space,
http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/ch13.html

Hope that's useful.

--
Hu Gang / Steve