2004-03-26 10:33:41

by Andrzej Krzysztofowicz

Subject: [2.4] disapearing routing entries

Hi,

I sometimes notice while using different 2.4/2.2 kernels that some static
route entries tend to disappear suddenly few days after they are manually
added. It happens only to manually added (non-automatic) entries.
No messages concerning this are found in dmesg and system logs.

This happens to me on different kernels (2.4 up to 2.4.25, and also on
2.2.25), on different architectures (i386, sparc), on different routing
tables (default and an extra one, No. 100), after different (but random)
amount of time (few to over 30 days), etc.

In all cases always specific routing entries seem to disappear (not all, and
always the same in a specific routing configuration).

Could anybody tell me:

1. Whether the problem is known?
2. How to further debug this problem?

Andrzej

Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz [email protected]
phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math., Gdansk University of Technology

2004-03-26 12:02:43

by bert hubert

Subject: Re: [2.4] disapearing routing entries

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:33:42AM +0100, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I sometimes notice while using different 2.4/2.2 kernels that some static
> route entries tend to disappear suddenly few days after they are manually
> added. It happens only to manually added (non-automatic) entries.
> No messages concerning this are found in dmesg and system logs.

Make doubly sure you are not running routed, gated or zebra/quagga,
userspace tools which change your routing.

Regards,
bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://lartc.org Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO

2004-03-26 12:58:51

by Andrzej Krzysztofowicz

bert hubert wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:33:42AM +0100, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I sometimes notice while using different 2.4/2.2 kernels that some static
> > route entries tend to disappear suddenly few days after they are manually
> > added. It happens only to manually added (non-automatic) entries.
> > No messages concerning this are found in dmesg and system logs.
>
> Make doubly sure you are not running routed, gated or zebra/quagga,
> userspace tools which change your routing.

None of them.
Only apache and openvpn on one machine and only dhcpd on another one.

The disappearing entries were not related to openvpn routing.

( disapear: route to a specific host via a specific gw and defaultroute
in an extra routing table )

Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz [email protected]
phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math., Gdansk University of Technology

2004-03-27 14:00:11

by Jamie Lokier

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> None of them.
> Only apache and openvpn on one machine and only dhcpd on another one.

Are you running a DHCP client (dhclient, pump, dhcpcd or any other) on
the first machine?

-- Jamie

2004-03-27 16:46:42

by Andrzej Krzysztofowicz

Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> > None of them.
> > Only apache and openvpn on one machine and only dhcpd on another one.
>
> Are you running a DHCP client (dhclient, pump, dhcpcd or any other) on
> the first machine?

Yes, I do. I didn't think it may be the source of the problem as DHCP
timings are:
LEASETIME=7200
RENEWALTIME=3600
REBINDTIME=6300
and the problem appears after a week or more of normal operation.
But I will disable dhcpcd and test again.