2004-03-30 18:04:51

by Rafał J. Wysocki

Subject: Max file size on ext3?

Can you tell me, please, what the file size limit on ext3 is (should be, if
any)?

--
Rafael J. Wysocki,
SiSK

2004-03-30 18:22:02

by Matti Aarnio

Subject: Re: Max file size on ext3?

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:11:51PM +0200, R. J. Wysocki wrote:
> Can you tell me, please, what the file size limit on ext3 is
> (should be, if any)?

Same as with EXT2.

In theory with 4k block size:
(4096/4)^3 * 4096 = 4 000 GB = 4 TB
(plus a bit more, but that is minor detail)

Your application must use LFS extensions, e.g.
open("filename", O_LARGEFILE, ..)

and your "ulimit -f" must be "unlimited", otherwise
you will encounter 2 GB limit of original ABI.

Another limitation that may come and bite you, is
underlying block device capabilities. Prior to 2.6
kernels any block device can not exceed 1 TB size.
(Or 2 TB, depending...)

> --
> Rafael J. Wysocki,
> SiSK
> [tel. (+48) 605 053 693]

/Matti Aarnio

2004-03-30 18:38:26

by Richard B. Johnson

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, R. J. Wysocki wrote:

> Can you tell me, please, what the file size limit on ext3 is (should be, if
> any)?

Depends upon the block size.

Block size file size
1 kb 16 GB
2 kb 256 GB
4 kb 2048 GB
8 kb 2048 GB

Linux 2.4 limits single block device sizes to 2 TB.

Extracted from some information by haversain-ga on google.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.24 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).