2004-04-12 04:44:04

by Ravi Kumar Munnangi

Subject: multiple kernels

Hi Users,

Iam currently using RedHat 8.0 (Linux-2.4.18-14).
For some reasons I want to have Linux-2.2.17 also
on my system.
I can compile the new kernel but I want to skip the
configuration part. Because Iam new to linux Iam not
much confident of configuration process. Is there any
way to make use of already existing configuration on
Linux-2.4.18? Will this work?
Please help me!

Thanks,
ravikumar

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

2004-04-12 07:33:51

by MNH

Subject: Re: multiple kernels

you can copy the .config file from the previous kernel's tree to your
current kernel tree.

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 10:14, Ravi Kumar Munnangi wrote:
> Hi Users,
>
> Iam currently using RedHat 8.0 (Linux-2.4.18-14).
> For some reasons I want to have Linux-2.2.17 also
> on my system.
> I can compile the new kernel but I want to skip the
> configuration part. Because Iam new to linux Iam not
> much confident of configuration process. Is there any
> way to make use of already existing configuration on
> Linux-2.4.18? Will this work?
> Please help me!
>
> Thanks,
> ravikumar

by Hacksaw

>you can copy the .config file from the previous kernel's tree to your
>current kernel tree.

This is true, however, that doesn't mean it will work. There are a lot of
differences between 2.2 and 2.4.

At very least you must run make oldconfig to bring things forward, and I'm not
sure you can go backwards, though it might work.

But for all of that, you'll still have to answer lots of questions, and know
your machine pretty well.

Why do you need the older kernel?
--
That which is impossible has become necessary.
http://www.hacksaw.org -- http://www.privatecircus.com -- KB1FVD

2004-04-12 13:40:24

by Horst H. von Brand

Ravi Kumar Munnangi <[email protected]> said:
> Iam currently using RedHat 8.0 (Linux-2.4.18-14).
> For some reasons I want to have Linux-2.2.17 also
> on my system.

There might be incompatibilites with the rest of the system. I'd advise
against it.

Why, in any case?

> I can compile the new kernel but I want to skip the
> configuration part.

No way.

> Because Iam new to linux Iam not
> much confident of configuration process.

Just go slowly, read up on each configuration option (there is on-line help
in the configurators, e.g. "make menuconfig"), try it out and tweak from
there. A more knowledgeable person by your side the first time is very
useful...

> Is there any
> way to make use of already existing configuration on
> Linux-2.4.18? Will this work?

It might. The configuration changed quite a bit... again, I'd advise
against trying it if you don't know your way around (yet).

Good luck!