2004-04-18 23:52:21

by CIJOML

Subject: 2.4.26 IRDA BUG - blocker

Hi,

I have in my laptop this irda port:
IrCOMM protocol (Dag Brattli)
nsc-ircc, Found chip at base=0x02e
nsc-ircc, driver loaded (Dag Brattli)
IrDA: Registered device irda0

modules.conf:
alias irda0 nsc-ircc
options nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x08

When I try connect with 2.4.26 kernel to T68i
I getts this message and then port freezes - no devices discovered and no
communication, sometimes freezes whole laptop:

irlap_adjust_qos_settings(), Detected buggy peer, adjust mtt to 10us!
IrLAP, no activity on link!
IrLAP, no activity on link!
IrLAP, no activity on link!
IrLAP, no activity on link!

previous versions were OK

2.4.26-vanilla
debian woody with bunk2 debs

Thanks a lot

Michal

2004-04-19 13:38:55

by Daniele Venzano

Subject: Re: 2.4.26 IRDA BUG - blocker

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:52:16AM +0200, Michal Semler (volny.cz) wrote:
> When I try connect with 2.4.26 kernel to T68i
> I getts this message and then port freezes - no devices discovered and no
> communication, sometimes freezes whole laptop:

I'm seeing this same behaviour with a Nokia 6610, same modules, same
messages, but kernel 2.6.5.
I also noted that with irdaping I loose one ping every 2, so that
sequence numbers follow the following pattern:
1
2
4
5
7
8

-----------------------------
Daniele Venzano
Web: http://teg.homeunix.org

2004-04-19 17:57:29

by Jean Tourrilhes

Michal Semler wrote :

> Hi,
>
> I have in my laptop this irda port:
> IrCOMM protocol (Dag Brattli)
> nsc-ircc, Found chip at base=0x02e
> nsc-ircc, driver loaded (Dag Brattli)
> IrDA: Registered device irda0
>
> modules.conf:
> alias irda0 nsc-ircc
> options nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x08
>
> When I try connect with 2.4.26 kernel to T68i
> I getts this message and then port freezes - no devices discovered and no
> communication, sometimes freezes whole laptop:
>
> irlap_adjust_qos_settings(), Detected buggy peer, adjust mtt to 10us!
> IrLAP, no activity on link!
> IrLAP, no activity on link!
> IrLAP, no activity on link!
> IrLAP, no activity on link!

My web page document those kind of problems, how to configure
nsc-ircc, and how to report bug properly. Have you read it ?
Note that I've just answered a similar question a couple of
days ago on the IrDA mailing list.

> previous versions were OK

There was no IrDA changes from 2.4.25 to 2.4.26.

Daniele Venzano wrote :
> I'm seeing this same behaviour with a Nokia 6610, same modules, same
> messages, but kernel 2.6.5.
> I also noted that with irdaping I loose one ping every 2, so that
> sequence numbers follow the following pattern:
> 1
> 2
> 4
> 5
> 7
> 8

Same story, please read my web page on how to report bugs. And
I bet the problem is the same.

Regards,

Jean

2004-04-19 21:01:38

by CIJOML

Hi,

Yes, this driver was backported to 2.4 from 2.6.
But it is not problem in this driver, bus somewhere deeper in Irda stack, coz
I used it about 6 mounths without problem with previous version of irda
stack.

Michal

Dne po 19. dubna 2004 15:35 Daniele Venzano napsal(a):
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:52:16AM +0200, Michal Semler (volny.cz) wrote:
> > When I try connect with 2.4.26 kernel to T68i
> > I getts this message and then port freezes - no devices discovered and no
> > communication, sometimes freezes whole laptop:
>
> I'm seeing this same behaviour with a Nokia 6610, same modules, same
> messages, but kernel 2.6.5.
> I also noted that with irdaping I loose one ping every 2, so that
> sequence numbers follow the following pattern:
> 1
> 2
> 4
> 5
> 7
> 8

by Daniele Venzano

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:57:18AM -0700, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> Same story, please read my web page on how to report bugs. And
> I bet the problem is the same.

You won the bet.
The echo 115200 > /proc/sys/net/irda/max_baud_rate made the trick.

What about putting some of that useful documentation under Documention/ ?
I took your web page, removed everything that looked unecessary or that
required frequent updates, and made the attached patch.

Before writing I made a grep -r irda linux-2.6.4/Documentation/, but
found nothing interesting. Since I was offline at the time, I could
not check google or irda.sf.net.

Perhaps this patch can reduce the amount of useless and unproper bug
reports against IrDA.

Bye.

--
Daniele Venzano