2004-04-18 01:57:03

by Alexander Hoogerhuis

Subject: Speedstep on centrino

I've been twaddling with getting SpeedStep right on my laptop (HP
nc6000, 1.6GHz P-M) and noticed a few odd things:

Using regular SpeedStep is says to use speedstep-centrino due to
voltage regultion, etc.

Using SpeedStep for Centrino og gived me this line on boot:
speedstep-centrino: found "Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz": max frequency: 1600000kHz

This seems to work and make the battery last an useful amount of time.

Using SpeedStep for Centrino with decoding the speeds and voltages
(CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_ACPI) will not yield any output during
boot regarding cpufreq at all and the battery useage is heavy. ACPI is
enabled.

mvh,
Alexander Hoogerhuis | [email protected]
CCNP - CCDP - MCNE - CCSE | +47 908 21 485
"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." --Scott McNealy

2004-04-22 10:19:10

by Jeremy Fitzhardinge

Subject: Re: Speedstep on centrino

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 11:56, Alexander Hoogerhuis wrote:
> I've been twaddling with getting SpeedStep right on my laptop (HP
> nc6000, 1.6GHz P-M) and noticed a few odd things:
>
> Using regular SpeedStep is says to use speedstep-centrino due to
> voltage regultion, etc.

Yep, that's reasonable.

> Using SpeedStep for Centrino og gived me this line on boot:
> speedstep-centrino: found "Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz": max frequency: 1600000kHz

Looks normal.

> This seems to work and make the battery last an useful amount of time.

Good.

> Using SpeedStep for Centrino with decoding the speeds and voltages
> (CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_ACPI) will not yield any output during
> boot regarding cpufreq at all and the battery useage is heavy. ACPI is
> enabled.

I've never managed to get ACPI working on my laptop, so I haven't tested
this. I'm not sure what's going on here - maybe someone on the cpufreq
list can help.

by Dominik Brodowski

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:18:38PM +1000, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 11:56, Alexander Hoogerhuis wrote:
> > Using SpeedStep for Centrino with decoding the speeds and voltages
> > (CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_ACPI) will not yield any output during
> > boot regarding cpufreq at all

This is normal; dmesg is kept clean if no error occurs -- in theory. Maybe
some errors do not result in printk()s yet, let's see...

> > and the battery useage is heavy. ACPI is enabled.

What does /proc/acpi/processor/./performance say, if it exists? and are
there files and proper values in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ ?

Dominik

Attachments:
(No filename) (652.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)