2004-04-24 07:37:44

by Erik Steffl

Subject: udev and /dev/sda1 not found during boot (it's there right after boot)

just moved to udev and everything seems to be working OK except of
SATA drive (visible as /dev/sda1) when fsck checks it during boot (it
works fine right after that).

all the required modules (as far as I can tell) are in /etc/modules.
I see the modules loading and right after the modules are loaded fsck
starts. It checks /dev/hdb6 (root) and it goes on to check /dev/sda1 and
complains that there is no such file. At that point I get a choice to
enter root password for maintenance or ctrl-d to continue booting.

enter root password: I get command prompt, check the /dev/sda1, it's
there, I can do fsck or mount it

ctrl-d: boot continues as usual, /dev/sda1 is mounted

any ideas how to fix this? is it a timing issue (udev didn't create
device yet but fsck is already trying to use it)?

system:

debian unstable
kernel 2.6.5
udev 0.024

/etc/modules:
ip_tables
# -------------- scsi
sd_mod
sr_mod
ide-scsi
sg
scsi_transport_spi
# -------------- cdrom
ide-cd
# -------------- alsa
snd_emu10k1

TIA

erik

2004-04-24 15:55:30

by Greg KH

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 12:37:41AM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> just moved to udev and everything seems to be working OK except of
> SATA drive (visible as /dev/sda1) when fsck checks it during boot (it
> works fine right after that).

This is a Debian specific bug/issue. I suggest you file it against the
Debian udev package, as it is not a kernel issue.

thanks,

greg k-h

2004-04-24 20:33:16

by Marco d'Itri

On Apr 24, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 12:37:41AM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > just moved to udev and everything seems to be working OK except of
> > SATA drive (visible as /dev/sda1) when fsck checks it during boot (it
> > works fine right after that).
> This is a Debian specific bug/issue. I suggest you file it against the
> Debian udev package, as it is not a kernel issue.
What makes you think this is debian-specific? As you know, the debian
package does not have relevant patches.

I have not been able to reproduce this and I have no clue about how this
could be debugged, so I don't think that opening other duplicated bug
reports is going to help much...

--
ciao, |
Marco | [5950 alBoT3GxM9NbE]