2004-06-15 15:54:14

by Felix von Leitner

Subject: ieee1394 still utterly broken in 2.6.7-rc3

Is it too much to ask to at least revert back to the ieee1394 code from
2.6.3 before shipping the final 2.6.7?

Firewire was dysfunctional sind 2.6.3, and still has not been fixed,
despite several updates to the code.

Please, 2.6 is supposed to be a stable kernel, for people to use in
production environments.

Here's what happens with every kernel since 2.6.4:

kernel boots
finds firewire hard disk
creates device
boot sequence tries to mount disk
computer hangs
I pull the cable
computer continues booting, just without firewire disk

It's an Athlon mainboard with VIA chipset.

Felix

2004-06-15 16:27:47

by Ben Collins

Subject: Re: ieee1394 still utterly broken in 2.6.7-rc3

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:53:54PM +0200, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> Is it too much to ask to at least revert back to the ieee1394 code from
> 2.6.3 before shipping the final 2.6.7?
>
> Firewire was dysfunctional sind 2.6.3, and still has not been fixed,
> despite several updates to the code.
>
> Please, 2.6 is supposed to be a stable kernel, for people to use in
> production environments.
>
> Here's what happens with every kernel since 2.6.4:
>
> kernel boots
> finds firewire hard disk
> creates device
> boot sequence tries to mount disk
> computer hangs
> I pull the cable
> computer continues booting, just without firewire disk
>
> It's an Athlon mainboard with VIA chipset.

Is firewire built-in to the kernel? I haven't seen any of these problems
_at all_, but I use modules. I have a 250gig firewire disk that is used
for nightly backups for 5 systems via rsync and ssh, and it never shows
any problems.

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/

2004-06-15 18:24:06

by Hans Solo

Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:53:54PM +0200, Felix von Leitner wrote:
>>
>> It's an Athlon mainboard with VIA chipset.
>
> Is firewire built-in to the kernel? I haven't seen any of these problems
> _at all_, but I use modules. I have a 250gig firewire disk that is used
> for nightly backups for 5 systems via rsync and ssh, and it never shows
> any problems.

I have a similar setup here; 250Gb on an Oxford922 doing nightly
backups via rsync. Athlon mainboard with VIA chipset. ieee1394,
ohci1394, sbp2 as modules. I get seemingly random crashes that
freeze the system solid, no oopses. Sometimes I get a few of these:

Jun 13 06:12:14 chewbaka kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command
Jun 13 06:12:14 chewbaka kernel: Write (10) 00 00 89 4c 33 00 00 08 00

but I can't decide if this is related.

If I unplugg the drive and then re-plugg it, the failure is
easiy reproduced with some heavy disk activity (copying a file-
system to the firewire disk for example).

Any idea about where to start looking? I have tried various
options for sbp2 in /etc/modprobe.conf. Let me know if you
want my .config etc.

Thanks,

Hans

/\ - against microsoft attachments