2004-06-30 18:22:29

by Tim Moore

Subject: list digest / non-digest delivery problems?

Hi;

After LK switched to digest-only some time back I wrote an awk digest
expander since I manage the list volume by filtering on key words in the
subject field. Recently some messages with headers indicating a digest are
actually coming through as individuals which really tarts things up.

While the digest expander is my problem, keying on reliable email headers
it is significantly easier than coding logic to tell if the message is a
real digest or an individual message. It would be very helpful to let the
group know if there is a problem with digests and if the headers will
accurately reflect the message content.

Thanks,
Tim.
--
| for direct reply, prepend "private_" to address

2004-06-30 18:47:00

by Matt Domsch

Subject: Re: list digest / non-digest delivery problems?

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 11:22:26AM -0700, Tim Moore wrote:
> Hi;
>
> After LK switched to digest-only some time back

meaning you're subscribed to linux-kernel-digest or
linux-kernel-daily-digest at lists.us.dell.com, so this clearly isn't
an issue with vger.kernel.org, right?

> I wrote an awk digest expander since I manage the list volume by
> filtering on key words in the subject field. Recently some messages
> with headers indicating a digest are actually coming through as
> individuals which really tarts things up.

Hmmm. Nothing has changed on lists.us.dell.com regarding these lists in
quite a while. Can you provide an example message that you believe is
incorrect?

The linux-kernel-digest list sends one digest every 100KB, which I
think is also near the vger single message size limit. Any chance
what came through was a single message, yet still wrapped in a digest?

> While the digest expander is my problem, keying on reliable email headers
> it is significantly easier than coding logic to tell if the message is a
> real digest or an individual message.

They'll have the normal mailman list headers on every message, can't
you use those?

> It would be very helpful to let the group know if there is a problem
> with digests and if the headers will accurately reflect the message
> content.

This is the first I've heard of any problems with the digester in a
long time. Please provide an example message as requested above, and
I'll look into it.

Thanks,
Matt

--