Subject: Re: silent semantic changes with reiser4

Markus Törnqvist wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:32:00AM -0500, Matt Mackall wrote:
>

>>Find some silly person with an iBook and open a shell on OS X. Use cp
>>to copy a file with a resource fork. Oh look, the Finder has no idea
>>what the new file is, even though it looks exactly identical in the
>>shell. Isn't that _wonderful_? Now try cat < a > b on a file with a
>>fork. How is that ever going to work?
>>

>Then I guess OS X ships a broken implementation of cp, yes?

Nope, GUI handles it perfectly. it's maybe 0.1% of users of MacOS that acctually care about cp being broken.

--
GJ

2004-09-03 05:05:18

by Al Viro

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 06:43:21AM +0200, Grzegorz Ja??kiewicz wrote:
> >Then I guess OS X ships a broken implementation of cp, yes?
> >
> Nope, GUI handles it perfectly. it's maybe 0.1% of users of MacOS that
> acctually care about cp being broken.

Gotta love the Mac logics: "Is $FOO broken?" - "Nope, $BAR works. Very few
care about $FOO being broken".

[email protected] wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 06:43:21AM +0200, Grzegorz Ja??kiewicz wrote:
>

>>>Then I guess OS X ships a broken implementation of cp, yes?
>>>

>>Nope, GUI handles it perfectly. it's maybe 0.1% of users of MacOS that
>>acctually care about cp being broken.
>>

>Gotta love the Mac logics: "Is $FOO broken?" - "Nope, $BAR works. Very few
>care about $FOO being broken".

I don't represent Mac logic ;) IMO it's wrong, but it's still a fact.

--
GJ

2004-09-05 11:14:56

by Tonnerre

Salut,

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 06:43:21AM +0200, Grzegorz Ja??kiewicz wrote:
> >Then I guess OS X ships a broken implementation of cp, yes?
>
> Nope, GUI handles it perfectly. it's maybe 0.1% of users of MacOS that
> acctually care about cp being broken.

Actually, there is a (non-GNU) free implementation of the fileutils on
MacOS/X that treats and copies the .DS_Store entries (or say is
metadata aware).

And even though I might agree on that the principle of having
per-directory database files is somewhat hacky, it appears to work
like a charm (As long as userland programs do care about it).

On Linux we have a solution that actually works just the same and is a
lot cooler. It's called POSIX extended attributes...

Tonnerre

PS. If you want to talk further on the subject of how MacOS/X does it
and how I would do it using extended attributes, discuss it in private
mail with me, since MacOS/X isn't really Linux. And no, I don't want a
single daemon do that, but I want it to be a standard implementation
that libc and fileutils support.

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.06 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)