2004-09-19 15:15:03

by Norberto Bensa

Subject: Is anyone using vmware 4.5 with 2.6.9-rc2-mm1?

Hello list,

This is what vmware is saying:

"Could not mmap 139264 bytes of memory from file offset 0 at (nil):
Operation not permitted. Failed to allocate shared memory."

Vmware works fine with 2.6.9-rc1-mm5.

Thanks,
Norberto

2004-09-19 17:03:40

by Felipe Alfaro Solana

Subject: Re: Is anyone using vmware 4.5 with 2.6.9-rc2-mm1?

On Sep 19, 2004, at 17:14, Norberto Bensa wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> This is what vmware is saying:
>
> "Could not mmap 139264 bytes of memory from file offset 0 at (nil):
> Operation not permitted. Failed to allocate shared memory."
>

> Vmware works fine with 2.6.9-rc1-mm5.

It's woking fine for me... I'm using VMwareWorkstation-4.5.2-8848
running on top of kernel-2.6.9-rc2-mm1-VP-S1 and Fedora Core RawHide
with no apparent problems (i.e. dmesg shows no errors) and total
functionality.

2004-09-19 23:44:52

by Neil Horman

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2004, at 17:14, Norberto Bensa wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> This is what vmware is saying:
>>
>> "Could not mmap 139264 bytes of memory from file offset 0 at (nil):
>> Operation not permitted. Failed to allocate shared memory."
>>

>> Vmware works fine with 2.6.9-rc1-mm5.
>

> It's woking fine for me... I'm using VMwareWorkstation-4.5.2-8848
> running on top of kernel-2.6.9-rc2-mm1-VP-S1 and Fedora Core RawHide
> with no apparent problems (i.e. dmesg shows no errors) and total
> functionality.
>
> -
> linux-kernel" in

Have you accidentally turned down the maximum sized shared memory
segment on your system, making an allocation of shared memory of that
size impossible? (assuming the 2.6 kernel has the same tunable that the
2.4 series had for shared memory).
Neil

*Neil Horman
*Software Engineer
*Red Hat, Inc.
*[email protected]
*gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1
*http://pgp.mit.edu
***************************************************/

2004-09-20 02:29:36

by Norberto Bensa

Neil Horman wrote:
> Have you accidentally turned down the maximum sized shared memory
> segment on your system, making an allocation of shared memory of that
> size impossible?

Hm no, I think not; but how do I find that anyways?

Many thanks in advance,
Norberto

2004-09-20 11:09:18

by Neil Horman

Norberto Bensa wrote:

>Neil Horman wrote:
>

>>Have you accidentally turned down the maximum sized shared memory
>>segment on your system, making an allocation of shared memory of that
>>size impossible?
>>

>Hm no, I think not; but how do I find that anyways?
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>Norberto

The values in /proc/sys/kernel/ that begin with shm defined the
boundaries of what you can allocate in term of shared memory. i'm not
sure if their meanings have changed at all from the 2.4 kernel series,
so you might have to do some poking at the code to understand them.
HTH
Neil

*Neil Horman
*Software Engineer
*Red Hat, Inc.
*[email protected]
*gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1
*http://pgp.mit.edu
***************************************************/

2004-09-20 13:28:33

by Norberto Bensa

Neil Horman wrote:
> The values in /proc/sys/kernel/ that begin with shm defined the
> boundaries of what you can allocate in term of shared memory.

Then no. Nothing visible has changed.

$ ls -l /proc/sys/kernel/shm*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Sep 20 10:16 /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Sep 20 10:16 /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Sep 20 10:16 /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni

$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shm*
2097152
33554432
4096

Same values with 2.6.9-rc1-mm5.

This is dmesg when I start the vmware service:
/dev/vmmon: Module vmmon: registered with major=10 minor=165
/dev/vmmon: Module vmmon: initialized
/dev/vmnet: open called by PID 1443 (vmnet-bridge)
/dev/vmnet: hub 0 does not exist, allocating memory.
/dev/vmnet: port on hub 0 successfully opened
bridge-eth0: enabling the bridge
bridge-eth0: up
bridge-eth0: already up
bridge-eth0: attached
/dev/vmnet: open called by PID 1459 (vmnet-natd)
/dev/vmnet: hub 8 does not exist, allocating memory.
/dev/vmnet: port on hub 8 successfully opened

After I start vmware:
/dev/vmnet: open called by PID 1475 (vmnet-netifup)
/dev/vmnet: port on hub 8 successfully opened
/dev/vmnet: open called by PID 1496 (vmnet-dhcpd)
/dev/vmnet: port on hub 8 successfully opened

And the message that vmware shows in a dialog box:
Could not mmap 139264 bytes of memory from file offset 0 at
(nil): Operation not permitted.
Failed to allocate shared memory.

I guess I'll have to go back to 2.6.9-rc1-mm5 :(
I'm attaching my .config and full dmesg in case anyone has any idea of what's
going on.

Thanks Neil and Felipe,

Norberto

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.62 kB)
.config (29.09 kB)
dmesg (12.69 kB)

by Norberto Bensa

Subject: Re: FIXED (Is anyone using vmware 4.5 with 2.6.9-rc2-mm1?)

Norberto Bensa wrote:
> And the message that vmware shows in a dialog box:
> Could not mmap 139264 bytes of memory from file offset 0 at
> (nil): Operation not permitted.
> Failed to allocate shared memory.

It's working now. I had this in fstab:

tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs size=2m,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
^^^^^^^

I removed "size=2m" and a remount fixed vmware.

Thanks everyone!!

Regards,
Norberto

2004-09-22 03:16:14

by Norberto Bensa

Subject: Re: NOT FIXED (Is anyone using vmware 4.5 with 2.6.9-rc2-mm1?)

Norberto Bensa wrote:
> It's working now. I had this in fstab:

No, it's not working. After a reboot, same config, same kernel, same mounts,
same everything -> No vmware.

Just to summarize.

* vmware with 2.6.9-rc1-mm5 works.
* vmware with 2.6.9-rc2-mm1 doesn't work.

I'll try 2.6.9-rc2 if anyone wants but since not many people answered my
messages I guess there's no interest in vmware at all.

Regards,
Norberto