2004-09-22 14:12:45

by Nico Schottelius

Subject: /sys: Network device status: link; Hard disks?

Hello everybody!

Will /sys provide details about link status of network cards
and can I also find out what devices are harddisks?

Like having /sys/block/hda/type, which contains "cd-rom" or
"harddisk" or similar.

Or having something like /sys/class/net/eth0/link with 0/1 setting?

I know some or all information can be retrieved somehow differnt
(like using /proc), but shouldn't those be found in /sys?

Just some question on how we can use /sys useful.

Greetings,

Nico

PS: Please CC, I am not subscribed.

Attachments:
(No filename) (515.00 B)
(No filename) (827.00 B)

by Jesper Juhl

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Nico Schottelius wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:16:30 +0200
> From: Nico Schottelius <[email protected]>
> Subject: /sys: Network device status: link; Hard disks?
>
> Hello everybody!
> Will /sys provide details about link status of network cards
> and can I also find out what devices are harddisks?
> Like having /sys/block/hda/type, which contains "cd-rom" or
> "harddisk" or similar.
> Or having something like /sys/class/net/eth0/link with 0/1 setting?
> I know some or all information can be retrieved somehow differnt
> (like using /proc), but shouldn't those be found in /sys?
> Just some question on how we can use /sys useful.
> Greetings,
> Nico
> PS: Please CC, I am not subscribed.

Hmm, sounds nice to me. I don't know if something like
/sys/class/net/eth0/link as you describe it would be accepted, but I've
been wanting to play with sysfs for a while and this sounds like a nice
and resonably simple little project, I will take a shot at trying to
implement that.

--
Jesper Juhl

2004-09-22 22:22:17

by Nico Schottelius

Jesper Juhl [Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 04:19:06PM +0200]:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Nico Schottelius wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:16:30 +0200
> > From: Nico Schottelius <[email protected]>
> > Subject: /sys: Network device status: link; Hard disks?
> >
> > Hello everybody!
> > Will /sys provide details about link status of network cards
> > and can I also find out what devices are harddisks?
> > Like having /sys/block/hda/type, which contains "cd-rom" or
> > "harddisk" or similar.
> > Or having something like /sys/class/net/eth0/link with 0/1 setting?
> > I know some or all information can be retrieved somehow differnt
> > (like using /proc), but shouldn't those be found in /sys?
> > Just some question on how we can use /sys useful.
> > Greetings,
> > Nico
> > PS: Please CC, I am not subscribed.
> >

> Hmm, sounds nice to me. I don't know if something like
> /sys/class/net/eth0/link as you describe it would be accepted, but I've
> been wanting to play with sysfs for a while and this sounds like a nice
> and resonably simple little project, I will take a shot at trying to
> implement that.

Perhaps there is a even a default method for network
device drivers to show their link status, but I don't know where
and having it in /sys seems senseful to me.

Anyway, is this the wrong list to ask questions about /sys or
where can I find information about what the sense of /sys is and
what it should and will contain?

Greetings,

Nico
--
Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available.
Please use pgp encryption: 8D0E 27A4 is my id.

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.65 kB)
(No filename) (827.00 B)

by Stephen Hemminger

You probably just want to expose the state of netif_carrier_ok (and netif_running).
Doing it in net-sysfs.c is trivial. I was hoping someone else would learn something
and do it for me.

2004-09-23 08:59:37

by Jesper Juhl

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:30:28 -0700
> From: Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: /sys: Network device status: link; Hard disks?
>
> You probably just want to expose the state of netif_carrier_ok (and netif_running).
> Doing it in net-sysfs.c is trivial. I was hoping someone else would learn something
> and do it for me.

That is exactely what I've started to do, but it's taking me a little
while since I have limited time and have to learn about sysfs first. But
it's a nice learning experience and I'll post a patch as soon as I have
something that works resonably, but it might take me a few days.

--
Jesper Juhl