2004-09-23 04:08:49

by tabris

Subject: undecoded slave?

Attachments:
(No filename) (634.00 B)
missing_HD.dmesg.log (9.87 kB)

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: undecoded slave?

tabris <[email protected]> wrote:

> Probing IDE interface ide3...
> hdg: Maxtor 4D060H3, ATA DISK drive
> hdh: Maxtor 4D060H3, ATA DISK drive
> ide-probe: ignoring undecoded slave
>
> Booted 2.6.9-rc2-mm2, and I no longer have an hdh. the error above seems
> to be the only [stated] reason why.

Ok, thanks. Presumably, reverting ide-probe.patch will get you going.

> back on 2.6.8-rc1-mm1+idefix2 (lba48 FLUSH CACHE bug) for now.

What is idefix2??

2004-09-23 07:22:53

by tabris

[ use [email protected] for ATA stuff ]

On Thursday 23 September 2004 05:57, tabris wrote:

> Probing IDE interface ide3...
> hdg: Maxtor 4D060H3, ATA DISK drive
> hdh: Maxtor 4D060H3, ATA DISK drive
> ide-probe: ignoring undecoded slave
>
> Booted 2.6.9-rc2-mm2, and I no longer have an hdh. the error above seems
> to be the only [stated] reason why.

Please send hdparm -I output for both drives.

2004-09-23 23:03:10

by Alan

On Iau, 2004-09-23 at 21:30, tabris wrote:
> Serial Number: D3000000
> Firmware Revision: DAK019K0

> Model Number: Maxtor 4D060H3
> Serial Number: D3000000
> Firmware Revision: DAH017K0

Thats not a good sign for your drives, they seem to have lost their
serial numbers.

2004-09-23 23:37:57

by David Lang

Subject: max file handles max

I have some boxes that have been hitting max file handles when other
systems around them misbehave. I've set the max file handles up to 32k,
but I'm wondering how high this can really go beofre running into
problems?

I saw the discussion recently about problems when you have more then 32K
processes and so far I'm not hitting that, but I do want to raise all the
other limits up to the point where they are all hit at about the same time
(for file handles it looks like it's currently useing ~4-5 per process so
I would be talking 128k+ file-max.

David Lang

On Thursday 23 September 2004 22:30, tabris wrote:

> On Thursday 23 September 2004 7:14 am, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > [ use [email protected] for ATA stuff ]
> >
> > On Thursday 23 September 2004 05:57, tabris wrote:
> > > Probing IDE interface ide3...
> > > hdg: Maxtor 4D060H3, ATA DISK drive
> > > hdh: Maxtor 4D060H3, ATA DISK drive
> > > ide-probe: ignoring undecoded slave
> > >
> > > Booted 2.6.9-rc2-mm2, and I no longer have an hdh. the error above
> > > seems to be the only [stated] reason why.
> >
> > Please send hdparm -I output for both drives.
>
> As you can see, both drives are the same brand/size/model.
> Both are connected to the PDC20265 on my ASUS A7V266-E motherboard.
>
> /dev/hdg:
>
> ATA device, with non-removable media
> Model Number: Maxtor 4D060H3
> Serial Number: D3000000
> Firmware Revision: DAK019K0

Thanks.
It seems we will need to add this Serial Number to "undecoded slave" fixup.

Please also send /proc/ide/hd?/identify to exclude kernel/hdparm parsing bug.

2004-09-24 01:42:32

by Eric D. Mudama

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:09:13 +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thursday 23 September 2004 22:30, tabris wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday 23 September 2004 7:14 am, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > > [ use [email protected] for ATA stuff ]

> > > Please send hdparm -I output for both drives.
> >
> > As you can see, both drives are the same brand/size/model.
> > Both are connected to the PDC20265 on my ASUS A7V266-E motherboard.
> >
> > /dev/hdg:
> >
> > ATA device, with non-removable media
> > Model Number: Maxtor 4D060H3
> > Serial Number: D3000000
> > Firmware Revision: DAK019K0
>
> Thanks.
> It seems we will need to add this Serial Number to "undecoded slave" fixup.
>
> Please also send /proc/ide/hd?/identify to exclude kernel/hdparm parsing bug.

I'm confused, and I think something else must be going on... to have 2
different drives, with two completely different ASICs in them (and
therefore significantly different object code), have identical
corruption of the same 6 bytes of their configuration block is just
not likely. I'm pretty sure they don't even have the same utility
zone layout.

Is that how the drive IDs when connected via other controllers, in
another system, etc?

hrm...

eric

2004-09-24 03:48:09

by tabris

On Thursday 23 September 2004 7:14 am, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> [ use [email protected] for ATA stuff ]
>
> On Thursday 23 September 2004 05:57, tabris wrote:
> > Probing IDE interface ide3...
> > hdg: Maxtor 4D060H3, ATA DISK drive
> > hdh: Maxtor 4D060H3, ATA DISK drive
> > ide-probe: ignoring undecoded slave
> >
> > Booted 2.6.9-rc2-mm2, and I no longer have an hdh. the error above
> > seems to be the only [stated] reason why.
>
> Please send hdparm -I output for both drives.

As you can see, both drives are the same brand/size/model.
Both are connected to the PDC20265 on my ASUS A7V266-E motherboard.

/dev/hdg:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: Maxtor 4D060H3
Serial Number: D3000000
Firmware Revision: DAK019K0
Standards:
Used: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 0
Supported: 6 5 4 3
Configuration:
Logical max current
cylinders 16383 65535
heads 16 1
sectors/track 63 63
--
CHS current addressable sectors: 4128705
LBA user addressable sectors: 120069936
LBA48 user addressable sectors: 120069936
device size with M = 1024*1024: 58627 MBytes
device size with M = 1000*1000: 61475 MBytes (61 GB)
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
bytes avail on r/w long: 57 Queue depth: 1
Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
minimum
R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 16
Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x0000)
Recommended acoustic management value: 192, current value: 0
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
udma6
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
Enabled Supported:
* NOP cmd
* READ BUFFER cmd
* WRITE BUFFER cmd
* Host Protected Area feature set
* Look-ahead
* Write cache
* Power Management feature set
* SMART feature set
* Device Configuration Overlay feature set
* 48-bit Address feature set
Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
SET MAX security extension
Advanced Power Management feature set
* DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
* SMART self-test
* SMART error logging
HW reset results:
CBLID- above Vih
Device num = 0 determined by the jumper
Checksum: correct

/dev/hdh:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: Maxtor 4D060H3
Serial Number: D3000000
Firmware Revision: DAH017K0
Standards:
Used: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 0
Supported: 6 5 4 3
Configuration:
Logical max current
cylinders 16383 16383
heads 16 16
sectors/track 63 63
--
CHS current addressable sectors: 16514064
[...]
Device num = 1 determined by the jumper
Checksum: correct

- --
tabris
- -
Tomorrow will be cancelled due to lack of interest.

2004-09-24 08:28:47

by tabris

On Thursday 23 September 2004 8:09 pm, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Thursday 23 September 2004 22:30, tabris wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday 23 September 2004 7:14 am, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
wrote:
> > > [ use [email protected] for ATA stuff ]

> > > Please send hdparm -I output for both drives.
> >
> > As you can see, both drives are the same brand/size/model.
> > Both are connected to the PDC20265 on my ASUS A7V266-E motherboard.
> >
> > /dev/hdg:
> >
> > ATA device, with non-removable media
> > Model Number: Maxtor 4D060H3
> > Serial Number: D3000000
> > Firmware Revision: DAK019K0
>
> Thanks.
> It seems we will need to add this Serial Number to "undecoded slave"
> fixup.
>
> Please also send /proc/ide/hd?/identify to exclude kernel/hdparm
> parsing bug.

Just so this is clear, these results are from running
2.6.8-rc1-mm1+idefix2, as it is what I am using (and that the other
version doesn't let me use hdh)

[root@tabriel root]# cat /proc/ide/hdg/identify
0040 3fff c837 0010 0000 0000 003f 0000
0000 0000 4433 3030 3030 3030 2020 2020
2020 2020 2020 2020 0003 1000 0039 4441
4b30 3139 4b30 4d61 7874 6f72 2034 4430
3630 4833 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020
2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 8010
0000 2f00 4000 0200 0000 0007 ffff 0001
003f ffc1 003e 0110 1f30 0728 0000 0007
0003 0078 0078 0078 0078 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
007e 0018 7c69 4f09 4003 7c69 0c01 4003
207f 0000 0000 0000 0000 603b c000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 1f30 0728 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 63a5
[root@tabriel root]# cat /proc/ide/hdh/identify
0040 3fff c837 0010 0000 0000 003f 0000
0000 0000 4433 3030 3030 3030 2020 2020
2020 2020 2020 2020 0003 1000 0039 4441
4830 3137 4b30 4d61 7874 6f72 2034 4430
3630 4833 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020
2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 8010
0000 2f00 4000 0200 0000 0007 3fff 0010
003f fc10 00fb 0110 1f30 0728 0000 0007
0003 0078 0078 0078 0078 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
007e 0018 7c69 4b09 4003 7c69 0801 4003
203f 0000 0000 0000 0000 6b00 c000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 06a5
[root@tabriel root]#

- --
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there.
-- Will Rogers

2004-09-24 08:28:23

by tabris

On Thursday 23 September 2004 9:41 pm, Eric Mudama wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:09:13 +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 September 2004 22:30, tabris wrote:

> > > As you can see, both drives are the same brand/size/model.
> > > Both are connected to the PDC20265 on my ASUS A7V266-E
> > > motherboard.
> > >
> > > /dev/hdg:
> > >
> > > ATA device, with non-removable media
> > > Model Number: Maxtor 4D060H3
> > > Serial Number: D3000000
> > > Firmware Revision: DAK019K0
> >
> > Thanks.
> > It seems we will need to add this Serial Number to "undecoded
> > slave" fixup.
> >
> > Please also send /proc/ide/hd?/identify to exclude kernel/hdparm
> > parsing bug.
>
> I'm confused, and I think something else must be going on... to have
> 2 different drives, with two completely different ASICs in them (and
> therefore significantly different object code), have identical
> corruption of the same 6 bytes of their configuration block is just
> not likely. I'm pretty sure they don't even have the same utility
> zone layout.
>
> Is that how the drive IDs when connected via other controllers, in
> another system, etc?
I'd have to get back to you on that, as I had no intention of taking my
machine down for such a purpose. But if you truly would need this info,
it could be provided within a day or two.

> hrm...
>
> eric
- --
tabris
- -
Reinhart was never his mother's favorite -- and he was an only child.
-- Thomas Berger

2004-09-24 16:41:35

by Eric D. Mudama

No rush.

I'd just like to see those drives ID'd via a different interface.

--eric