2004-09-24 17:26:03

by Phy Prabab

Subject: resource provisioning

Hello,

I would like to know if the linux kernel has a
mechanism to control computing resources at a uid
level, which I will call "resource provisioning". For
example, I would like to define on a multi cpu machine
that a list of uid's can not consume more than 1 cpu
and no more than 1G RAM, irregardless or how many jobs
they launch on or to the system.

So I guess, is this the correct term and is there a
posibilitity to do this now?

I would like to avoid the virtual servers method as I
do not want to carve the machines in question into
more machines.

Thanks for the help!
Phy

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

2004-09-24 18:25:00

by Chris Wright

Subject: Re: resource provisioning

* Phy Prabab ([email protected]) wrote:
> I would like to know if the linux kernel has a
> mechanism to control computing resources at a uid
> level, which I will call "resource provisioning". For
> example, I would like to define on a multi cpu machine
> that a list of uid's can not consume more than 1 cpu
> and no more than 1G RAM, irregardless or how many jobs
> they launch on or to the system.

You can already do this in some pretty crude fashion via rlimits and
sched_setaffinity (although the later doesn't have direct pam support
that I know of, so you'd have to manage that on your own).

> So I guess, is this the correct term and is there a
> posibilitity to do this now?

Otherwise, you must look at out of tree patches. Linux-vserver does
this, CKRM will allow you resource control, and PAGG + other module
(perhaps job?) will give you this as well.

> I would like to avoid the virtual servers method as I
> do not want to carve the machines in question into
> more machines.

Note: the vserver method above doesn't create actual virtual machines,
more like a software construct that you could consider a resource domain.

thanks,
-chris
--
Linux Security Modules http://lsm.immunix.org http://lsm.bkbits.net

2004-09-25 02:31:53

by Phy Prabab

Thanks for the information Chris. This is a good
starting point.

Phy