2004-10-01 11:18:04

by Arvind Kalyan

Subject: OS Virtualization

Hi all,

I'm trying to load and run two linux kernels simultaneously; trying to
demonstrate virtualization as a first step.

Anyone have pointers to where I can start? I looked into plex, bochs,
vmware, usermode linux.. they only simulate an architecture upon which
another kernel runs.

My intentions are to give control to both the kernels to directly control
the hardware and do "context switch" between those two based on
time-slice.

Thanks in advance.

--
i=0141;do{putchar(i);i=i&1?(0x10|i&0xf0)|(i&0xf)<<1:i&4?0:i|4;}while(i);

2004-10-01 11:42:24

by Frederik Deweerdt

Subject: Re: OS Virtualization

Le Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 04:47:06PM +0530, Arvind Kalyan ?crivit:

> Anyone have pointers to where I can start? I looked into plex, bochs,
> vmware, usermode linux.. they only simulate an architecture upon which
> another kernel runs.
Maybe you could have a look at Adeos: http://home.gna.org/adeos/

Frederik Deweerdt
--
/----------------------------------------------------\
| http://open-news.net : L'info alternative |

2004-10-01 12:37:56

by Martin Waitz

hi :)

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 04:47:06PM +0530, Arvind Kalyan wrote:
> My intentions are to give control to both the kernels to directly control
> the hardware and do "context switch" between those two based on
> time-slice.

Have a look at Xen: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/
They don't really allow direct hardware manipulation but use drivers
of their own.

--
Martin Waitz

Attachments:
(No filename) (396.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Chris Wright

* Arvind Kalyan ([email protected]) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to load and run two linux kernels simultaneously; trying to
> demonstrate virtualization as a first step.

A first step towards what?

> Anyone have pointers to where I can start? I looked into plex, bochs,
> vmware, usermode linux.. they only simulate an architecture upon which
> another kernel runs.

These are hosted (well, vmware has non-hosted products too). But as a
first step, this could be sufficient.

> My intentions are to give control to both the kernels to directly control
> the hardware and do "context switch" between those two based on
> time-slice.

Even with a non-hosted virtual machine, you'll need a hypervisor. Take
a look at Xen (if you're using x86). Or get some time on an S/390 ;-))

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/

thanks,
-chris
--
Linux Security Modules http://lsm.immunix.org http://lsm.bkbits.net

2004-10-01 18:01:14

by Adam Heath

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Martin Waitz wrote:

> hi :)
>
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 04:47:06PM +0530, Arvind Kalyan wrote:
> > My intentions are to give control to both the kernels to directly control
> > the hardware and do "context switch" between those two based on
> > time-slice.
>
> Have a look at Xen: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/
> They don't really allow direct hardware manipulation but use drivers
> of their own.

For 2.0, they allow direct hardware manipulation.

2004-10-01 18:00:15

by Adam Heath

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Arvind Kalyan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to load and run two linux kernels simultaneously; trying to
> demonstrate virtualization as a first step.
>

> Anyone have pointers to where I can start? I looked into plex, bochs,
> vmware, usermode linux.. they only simulate an architecture upon which
> another kernel runs.
>
> My intentions are to give control to both the kernels to directly control
> the hardware and do "context switch" between those two based on
> time-slice.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Search for xenolinux.