2004-10-06 01:08:47

by Kenny Bentley

Subject: Converting kernel modules from 2.4 to 2.6/Suggested new driver

Hello.

Does anyone know if there is a detailed guide on how to convert kernel
modules for 2.4 kernels to modules for 2.6 kernels? I know very little
about kernel module programming and haven't done any programming for a
long time, although I do have a programming background, and I have
drivers for HSF modems and Riptide sound cards that I want to convert
from 2.4 modules to 2.6 modules, which shouldn't be too hard. But I'll
need a detailed guide to do it.

Or since I've never done any kernel programming, I have a better idea.
I want to recommend the drivers for inclusion into the official kernel
tree. The drivers were released open-source by Linuxant or the
manufacturer, I don't remember which one for sure. But they're not
being developed any further, and the Riptide sound card driver only
supports OSS, and doesn't support ALSA. Also, there are things in the
drivers that need fixing that surely a lot of you can do much better
than me. I can help test the revised modules and I know how to put them
in the kernel tree, so I can do those parts. But many of you can do the
programming better than I can.

I can't afford new hardware right now, and I had to search the net for
hours and maybe even days just to find these drivers, and almost gave up
hope of being able to use GNU/Linux as my primary OS. I wouldn't want
others to have to go through that or settle for mediocre drivers. If
there are any takers out there, just send me an E-mail and I'll send you
the drivers so you can hack away. But at the very least I'd like to
know where I can find a detailed guild on how to convert kernel modules
from 2.4 to 2.6.

Thanks.

2004-10-06 01:30:28

by Randy.Dunlap

http://lwn.net/Articles/driver-porting/

| Or since I've never done any kernel programming, I have a better idea.
| I want to recommend the drivers for inclusion into the official kernel
| tree. The drivers were released open-source by Linuxant or the
| manufacturer, I don't remember which one for sure. But they're not
| being developed any further, and the Riptide sound card driver only
| supports OSS, and doesn't support ALSA. Also, there are things in the

OSS is deprecated. It needs an ALSA driver.

| drivers that need fixing that surely a lot of you can do much better
| than me. I can help test the revised modules and I know how to put them
| in the kernel tree, so I can do those parts. But many of you can do the
| programming better than I can.

You can recommend them for inclusion, but the developer or maintainer
of them needs to either submit them or at least approve their
submission for inclusion.

| I can't afford new hardware right now, and I had to search the net for
| hours and maybe even days just to find these drivers, and almost gave up
| hope of being able to use GNU/Linux as my primary OS. I wouldn't want
| others to have to go through that or settle for mediocre drivers. If
| there are any takers out there, just send me an E-mail and I'll send you
| the drivers so you can hack away. But at the very least I'd like to
| know where I can find a detailed guild on how to convert kernel modules
| from 2.4 to 2.6.

How about posting their web locations (wherever you found them)
in case someone is interested..?

--
~Randy

2004-10-06 01:53:27

by J. Bruce Fields

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 06:27:16PM -0700, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> You can recommend them for inclusion, but the developer or maintainer
> of them needs to either submit them or at least approve their
> submission for inclusion.

Also, the first thing to check is probably this:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:09:20 -0400 Kenny Bentley wrote:
> | Or since I've never done any kernel programming, I have a better idea.
> | I want to recommend the drivers for inclusion into the official kernel
> | tree. The drivers were released open-source by Linuxant or the
> | manufacturer, I don't remember which one for sure.

You'll need to double-check that. I think Linuxant released some
free-as-in-beer drivers that were a mixture of free and proprietary
code, so it was easy to get confused on this point.

--Bruce Fields

2004-10-06 02:19:54

by Lee Revell

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 21:27, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> | Or since I've never done any kernel programming, I have a better idea.
> | I want to recommend the drivers for inclusion into the official kernel
> | tree. The drivers were released open-source by Linuxant or the
> | manufacturer, I don't remember which one for sure. But they're not
> | being developed any further, and the Riptide sound card driver only
> | supports OSS, and doesn't support ALSA. Also, there are things in the
>
> OSS is deprecated. It needs an ALSA driver.

http://www.alsa-project.org/~iwai/writing-an-alsa-driver/

Lee

2004-10-06 04:02:23

by Kenny Bentley

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

>| Does anyone know if there is a detailed guide on how to convert kernel
>| modules for 2.4 kernels to modules for 2.6 kernels? I know very little
>
>http://lwn.net/Articles/driver-porting/

I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail yet, but I think that
should definitely cover it. Thanks a lot.

>OSS is deprecated. It needs an ALSA driver.

That's one reason they made it open-source. They're hoping someone can
write an ALSA driver for it.

>You can recommend them for inclusion, but the developer or maintainer
>of them needs to either submit them or at least approve their
>submission for inclusion.

I'm not suggesting adding the drivers as they are now in the kernel.
I'm recommending taking those drivers, revising them to fix whatever
problems they had (including writing an ALSA driver for the sound card
driver), and releasing the revised modules. Or would even that still
need the original developer's approval?

>How about posting their web locations (wherever you found them)
>in case someone is interested..?

I think it was Linuxant (http://www.linuxant.com). The links in a HOWTO
file on Conexant modems redirect to that. I got them somewhere for
free, whereas Linuxant charges for a full version, but either I can't
remember where I got them from or the links I got them at redirect to
Linuxant. And the documentation in the file doesn't list a Web site,
but it does mention a copyright by Conexant, but I'm unsure whether
that's for the driver itself or for the device. Same deal with the
Riptide sound card driver. That was from Linuxant, but they're not
posting that on their Web site any more, so I'm glad I got it when I
did. The file name for the HSF modem driver is
"hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02.tar.bz2" and the one for the Riptide sound card
is "riptide-0.6lnxtbeta03122800.tar.bz2". You might try doing a Web
search for those files. Actually, I don't remember whether they were
originally compressed in .bz2 format or if they were compressed in .gz
format and I recompressed them in .bz2 format (as I did for a lot of
stuff), so make sure you try both extensions.

2004-10-06 04:12:42

by Kenny Bentley

J. Bruce Fields wrote:

>You'll need to double-check that. I think Linuxant released some
>free-as-in-beer drivers that were a mixture of free and proprietary
>code, so it was easy to get confused on this point.

I'm not sure what you mean by "free-as-in-beer", but they were released
open-source in hopes that others would be able to develop them further.
At the very least, I know for sure that the sound card driver is
open-source in hopes that people will be able to write an ALSA driver
for it since it only supports OSS. I'll have to check the licenses in
the files I have for details about distribution.

2004-10-06 12:51:16

by John Carlson

--- Kenny Bentley <[email protected]> wrote:

> Randy.Dunlap wrote:
>
> >| Does anyone know if there is a detailed guide on
> how to convert kernel
> >| modules for 2.4 kernels to modules for 2.6
> kernels? I know very little
> >
> >http://lwn.net/Articles/driver-porting/
> >

> I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail yet,
> but I think that
> should definitely cover it. Thanks a lot.
>
> >OSS is deprecated. It needs an ALSA driver.
> >

> That's one reason they made it open-source. They're
> hoping someone can
> write an ALSA driver for it.
>
> >You can recommend them for inclusion, but the
> developer or maintainer
> >of them needs to either submit them or at least
> approve their
> >submission for inclusion.
> >

> I'm not suggesting adding the drivers as they are
> now in the kernel.
> I'm recommending taking those drivers, revising them
> to fix whatever
> problems they had (including writing an ALSA driver
> for the sound card
> driver), and releasing the revised modules. Or
> would even that still
> need the original developer's approval?
>
> >How about posting their web locations (wherever you
> found them)
> >in case someone is interested..?
> >

> I think it was Linuxant (http://www.linuxant.com).
> The links in a HOWTO
> file on Conexant modems redirect to that. I got
> them somewhere for
> free, whereas Linuxant charges for a full version,
> but either I can't
> remember where I got them from or the links I got
> them at redirect to
> Linuxant. And the documentation in the file doesn't
> list a Web site,
> but it does mention a copyright by Conexant, but I'm
> unsure whether
> that's for the driver itself or for the device.
> Same deal with the
> Riptide sound card driver. That was from Linuxant,
> but they're not
> posting that on their Web site any more, so I'm glad
> I got it when I
> did. The file name for the HSF modem driver is
> "hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02.tar.bz2" and the one for the
> Riptide sound card
> is "riptide-0.6lnxtbeta03122800.tar.bz2". You might
> try doing a Web
> search for those files. Actually, I don't remember
> whether they were
> originally compressed in .bz2 format or if they were
> compressed in .gz
> format and I recompressed them in .bz2 format (as I
> did for a lot of
> stuff), so make sure you try both extensions.

the address your looking for is
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/riptide/download.php
and
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/download.php