2004-10-22 09:08:30

by tabris

Subject: DVD/ide-cd related Oops 2.6.[89]-mm

I have a DVD I bought today that about 80% of the way through
causes an error, 'cmd 0x28 timed out', resets ATAPI 2 or 3 times... and
then produces the Oops attached below.

This has happened in 2.6.8-rc1-mm1+idefix2 (a mebbe 5 liner
patch to fix LBA 48 FLUSH CACHE on non-LBA48 capable drives from
Jens. was merged into rc2-mm, possibly in rc1-mm2 or mm3), and also
2.6.9-rc4-mm1+revert_optimize-profile+undecoded_slave-fixup

undecoded slave fixup is a oneliner patch in ide-probe to
recognize both of my Maxtor drives that appear to have the same serial
number, D3000000. This fix was discussed a month ago or so, as I had run
into it, but nothing official came of it, and it was never merged to -mm.
Patch attached.

Btw, the oops does not occur with another DVD I have. However, I
did go to the store and get another copy of the problematic DVD, and the
same problem occurred.
--
tabris

Attachments:
(No filename) (899.00 B)
ide-cd.Oops.log (1.61 kB)
ide-probe+undecoded_slave-Maxtor-fixup (627.00 B)
Download all attachments
Subject: Re: DVD/ide-cd related Oops 2.6.[89]-mm

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 05:01:45 -0400, Tabris <[email protected]> wrote:
> undecoded slave fixup is a oneliner patch in ide-probe to
> recognize both of my Maxtor drives that appear to have the same serial
> number, D3000000. This fix was discussed a month ago or so, as I had run
> into it, but nothing official came of it, and it was never merged to -mm.

Did you test it on different controller (as asked by Eric)?

> Patch attached.

thanks, I'll apply it

Bartlomiej

2004-10-22 16:51:00

by tabris

On Friday 22 October 2004 10:35 am, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 05:01:45 -0400, Tabris <[email protected]> wrote:
> > undecoded slave fixup is a oneliner patch in ide-probe to
> > recognize both of my Maxtor drives that appear to have the same
> > serial number, D3000000. This fix was discussed a month ago or so,
> > as I had run into it, but nothing official came of it, and it was
> > never merged to -mm.
>
> Did you test it on different controller (as asked by Eric)?
Hmm. no, I had not tried that. I can probably arrange it assuming I end
up doing any work on the DVD oops as well. Just trying to minimize
downtime on this system.

--
tabris
-

2004-10-22 17:11:53

by tabris

On Friday 22 October 2004 10:35 am, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 05:01:45 -0400, Tabris <[email protected]> wrote:
> > undecoded slave fixup is a oneliner patch in ide-probe to
> > recognize both of my Maxtor drives that appear to have the same
> > serial number, D3000000. This fix was discussed a month ago or so,
> > as I had run into it, but nothing official came of it, and it was
> > never merged to -mm.
>
> Did you test it on different controller (as asked by Eric)?
>
> > Patch attached.
>
> thanks, I'll apply it
Patch attached with a comment. Possibly not necessary, but as it's a
fixup, probably should anyway.

--
tabris
-

Attachments:
(No filename) (745.00 B)
ide-probe+undecoded_slave-Maxtor-fixup.diff (704.00 B)

by tabris

On Friday 22 October 2004 5:01 am, Tabris wrote:
> I have a DVD I bought today that about 80% of the way through
> causes an error, 'cmd 0x28 timed out', resets ATAPI 2 or 3 times...
> and then produces the Oops attached below.
Any thoughts on the DVD oops? I'd like to be able to find a fix for
this so I can actually watch the movie.

> This has happened in 2.6.8-rc1-mm1+idefix2 (a mebbe 5 liner
> patch to fix LBA 48 FLUSH CACHE on non-LBA48 capable drives from
> Jens. was merged into rc2-mm, possibly in rc1-mm2 or mm3), and also
> 2.6.9-rc4-mm1+revert_optimize-profile+undecoded_slave-fixup

<snip>

--
Fundamentally, there may be no basis for anything.